Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe Kid mortality

Roe Kid mortality

On Weds eve I was driving from Bradford on Avon to Bath. There is a stretch where the road travels down through a steep heavily wooded hill side (Sally in the Woods). In a space of 200yds there were two freshly killed roe fawns. I stopped and moved the first which was the size of a very large hare with long legs, the other was some what larger and in the middle of the road but it was too dangerous to stop.

I have seen quite a few well grown kids with their mums in the last few weeks whilst commuting along the M5 but have never been close up to a fawn.

I know a lot get filled when they cut silage but looks as if RTA's are also a significant cause of mortality.

D

Too many prople on a small Island, with cars...real shame ,saddens me to see , as with any wild life........but thats life !!

The droids have to rush !!

Cats and cars...the biggest killer of wildlife.

I've seen alot of close calls with Roe recently, nearly had a young doe over my bonnet on the A1 a few weeks back and the day before had to avoid two bucks having a paddy with each other only a couple of miles from where the doe tried to commit hari kari.

Incidently the doe was killed the next day only a hundred yards from where I avoided her.

Sounda to me like there needs to be some deer management in that area is it local to you?

I had a DVD which stated 50% of newborn roe are taken by foxes during the abandonment period of the Doe. It was a Swedish DVD but when you consider a Vixen and cubs eat a tonne of food during the nurturing months it is possible here too.

red dot +1 remember seeing that report

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    Too many prople on a small Island, with cars...real shame ,saddens me to see , as with any wild life........but thats life !!

The droids have to rush !!
    Far too many people mate

Its not so bad up here but the sheer number of people and the lack of remote quiet areas is the reason I could never live down south.

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    Sounda to me like there needs to be some deer management in that area is it local to you?
    Your right there,

Its ten miles south of me and im working on it, but got to get past the 'oh but we like to see the deer and dont want them shot'

Education is the key, sometimes it just takes time

Id say a few more wildlife crossing road signs , some roadside reflectors and getting the roadside vegitation cut back might help

In this ever increesing populion and needs for more homes, why did the developers insist on putting trees right up to the roadside, all thouse trees that close to the road are just asking for trouble with more RTA'S.

Tony