Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up doc!

What's up doc!

Take a look at the photo,what's wrong with the buck? and what would be the possible cause? I ask the question for the benefit of those new stalkers that may come across a similar problem on a deer they've shot.What would you do with the deer? would you allow it to enter the food chain?

Tikkat3Attachment 7792

50 views and no opinions? there must be someone that can see a something thats not right with the Roe buck (apart from being dead) ? some people on here are quick enough to jump on novices that ask genuine questions, were are the experts when i need them?

Tikkat3

i see its still in its winter pelage but cant see anything wrong with it

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    TikkaT3

Maybe I'm missing something, but other than an apparent growth under the buck's right eye what are you asking us to look for? If it is the growth, then without seeing the skull I wouldn't want to say what caused it - it could be a tumour, calcified bone or something else entirely. I thought there was another growth on the belly but can't really tell if there is, or if it's just the way the beast is lying.

Or were you asking us to pass judgement on the stalker?

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    50 views and no opinions? there must be someone that can see a something thats not right with the Roe buck (apart from being dead) ? some people on here are quick enough to jump on novices that ask genuine questions, were are the experts when i need them?

Tikkat3
    Someone's gotta go first - I'll stick my head up above the parapet.... As a novice, BTW!!!!

Obvious lump under its eye socket - possible causes: injury, infection, possibly even dental abcess?

Further investigation before decision to enter food-chain, eg critical examination of surrounding area for evidence of infection (may just be a benign fatty deposit or summat?). Could even be a wound from fighting another buck?

I wait to get roundly condemned......
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

I don't know what is wrong with it, but here's my approach to the situation and symptoms.

Its got a big bulge under one of its eyes. Could be a cyst, or maybe an abscess on one of its teeth. The bulge could've been caused by its jaw being shattered by a bullet or fragment of bone. Could be a blocked tear duct - I'm just guessing.

Its not, as far as I'm aware (I may be wrong) a symptom of any of the notifyable diseases, so I would have a proper look and then ring someone experienced to run the symptoms past them and hopefully get a diagnosis.

I wouldn't put it in the food chain, but only because I don't know what's wrong with it. Someone with more experience might.

Looking forward to the answer.

Cheers,

Bob

Symptom of a brain abscess from a bacterial infection. Possibly supported by polished antlers from rubbing its head. Infection could be anywhere in the body. So no it should not enter the food chain.......
    Maybe?

The lump in that area of the face could be caused by several things as mentioned above. What about Nasal Bot Fly abcess as a theory? Not notifiable but if that was the case I wouldn't be keen on putting it into the food chain.

JR

Ok, now we're talking! for the record, i am a novice stalker asking genuine questions of those that have more knowledge than i so sensible answers please.The buck had a deformed antler on the same side as the lump (like a stilletto) i understand this can happen as a reaction to a bone injury elswhere on the body? but a lump on the face?
    When the lump was cut open the contents were like lumpy mashed potato and had no smell to it, when boiled out the skull showed no sign of bone damage, all nodes were observed as normal.

Tikkat3

Bacteria can enter a wound anywhere to cause an infection but typically happens during fighting and rubbing against trees. Once the infection really gets going it can lead to other abscesses and some brain damage leading to confused behaviour. Its likely to kill the deer within a few months.

Obviously that if I'm right.