Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baikal single shot .308

Baikal single shot .308

Has anyone used or seen the new Baikal single shot rifle,the cost 285 brand spanking new.
    I know Baikals are rough and ready,but in general ,a sound reliable gun.
    Just wondering has anyone used one and if so your thoughts on them.

If that is the break action like the .410 and 12 bore shotguns I have tried one in .223
    Rough and ready, you certainly wouldn't be worried about knocking it about, and it managed to
    put 3 shots into an inch and a bit with an old Tasco 4x32 on it.
    Trigger is horrible, but no doubt can be smoothed out a bit, I'd buy one if I needed a truck gun.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaser .270 View Post
    Has anyone used or seen the new Baikal single shot rifle,the cost 285 brand spanking new.
    I know Baikals are rough and ready,but in general ,a sound reliable gun.
    Just wondering has anyone used one and if so your thoughts on them.
    Only being a light-weight gun, I bet that's "rather lively" in the shoulder when the trigger's pulled in 308
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

SD Regular
    Beware! Like ALL break action guns sooner or later it will need a re-joint. That it is used with high pressure rifle cartridges will mean sooner that if it were in, say, 410 shot gun calibre.

I use a mate's when i pop over to France and hunt his boar. Same gun but different calibre. It's always been accurate enough.

Typical Baikal rough and ready.

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/ba..._izh1_8_rifle/

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

.308 IZH 18mh

Hi - I have one in .308, I paid 120 quid new from a guy in Surrey. It shot under an inch from the box with 150gr Hornady's and 43grn of N135. I love it - I am currently having it restocked. I am using a Nickel scope with a rail and Recknagel roll off mounts to get correct eye relief + I like the method. It does have a terrible trigger ( alot of creep) but I have half way sorted it and am looking for some one to finish it to crisp let off - any offers and also to fit a quarter rib.
    I have just bought another Nikel scope and I am planing to put a quater rib on it and mount via the objective lens bell housing.
    Yes they are rough and ready but they are cheap and worth the money spent on them - If you like that sort of thing. Paul Roberts used to turn out stunning big game rifles from old Brno's. You just need the vision!!!!!!!!!
    Regards -K

i have never shot one of these rifles but i have seen them and i think there great for what they are ok i wouldnt want to go to scotland with it and push it out to long ranges but for the type of lowland farm stalking i do shooting roe up to about 100yrds i think its a fantastic bit of kit and after a few years it needed some major work doing you could just bin it and get another

I've shot the 308 Remington SPR18/Spartan (posh version of the IZH-18MH but still made by Baikal) at 150 yards and it was fine - about an inch with the owner's custom loads. After some derogatory comments from someone else about the delay in getting a second shot in, the owner gave a demonstration by putting five shots into a 4" square target at 150 yards very quickly - certainly quick enough to give confidence in hunting with it.

I've also seen (but not handled or shot) the Baikal version and it seems just as functional, albeit much less attractive. I think they also make a version for an Italian company.

It was definitely an experience shooting a single shot break action rifle, but I would want to practice getting that second shot away before I tried to use it in the field.

Just wondering,how the constant closing of the break action might affect the zero of the scope,or is that a non issue ?