Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not mechanically minded

Not mechanically minded

Recently bought a grand vitara but the battery was knackered so put a new one on now it wont start turns over but the glowplug light keeps flashing any ideas thank you in advance atb paul

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    If your battery was completely flat, I suspect that it might be an Engine immobaliser might need to be reset/reprogrammed with the key?

The engine will turn over but it won't deliver the fuel?

I might be a 1000 miles off, but that's what I would suspect.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by PAULT View Post
    Recently bought a grand vitara but the battery was knackered so put a new one on now it wont start turns over but the glowplug light keeps flashing any ideas thank you in advance atb paul
    HhI
    Hi Paul
    Happened to mine a couple of yrs ago when i left the lghts on over night and battery was totally dead local garage could not fix it so it had to go back to suzuki dealer to be reprogrammed
    Geordie
    PS If you find an easir cheaper solution let me know

Quote Originally Posted by geordieh View Post
    HhI
    Hi Paul
    Happened to mine a couple of yrs ago when i left the lghts on over night and battery was totally dead local garage could not fix it so it had to go back to suzuki dealer to be reprogrammed
    Geordie
    PS If you find an easir cheaper solution let me know
    how much did that cost thanks.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    40-50 normally

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Ihad to pay for towing cos i live miles from nearest suzuki it was over 100
    Geordie

Was the new battery fully charged when you put it on the car??? Some batteries need to be charged fully before use.
    It could be a dead on arrival battery too. Try charging the new battery for a few hours and try again. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Ian

If you have got a handbook, read it very carefully. There is often a procedure for resetting the immobiliser and everything which has a real set of hoops to jump through but allows you to reset everything so it will start. Makesure everything is really charged first.

David.

if you can turn over then you have charge. but you may not have enough.
    give it a full over night charge with a cheap machine mart static charger

remove all battery terminals again and make sure they are spotless.
    check the secondary leads from battery to various ancillaries for corrosion or splits/breakages.

any drop in voltage can cause this
    this is a common problem on GV and is often connection related.

stolen from another site:
    "The glow light problem is essentially that of the glow relay. It will only switch and stay switched at start up (in order to feed current to the plugs) as long as a full 12.8V (at least) is applied to the relay. Any less and the relay switches on, current flows to the plugs, this current pulls down the voltage down slightly and the relay drops out, the glow current ceases the voltage rises and the relay switches back in again - and so the cycle goes on."

Free Car Service Manuals: Suzuki

get someone with a multi tester to check the voltages when you turn on the ignition

My Defender does this a few times a year and i found to reset the immobiliser i have to exit the car, lock it then open it and try to start it... it works with Land Rovers but may not with rice rockets.