R93 Barrel Chop

EMcC

I have a Blaser R93 in 30-06. The barrel came already threaded at 15x1 with a spigot.
I have several other rifles and are all threaded at 1/2"x20 unf, therefore all my moderators are threaded 1/2"x20 unf.
I am considering getting the first bit,15x1, cut off of my barrel and the spigot threaded to 1/2"x20 unf to enable me to use any of my other moderators.
Can anybody see any problems I may face by cutting the barrel down by 1".
It is not a 'long range' rifle so the loss of a bit of velocity is not a problem, I am more concerned with accuracy.

If done properly it shoulnt be an issue, but some charge almost the cost of a moderator for a chop/cut/proof. It will also be slightly devalued. Stick with the original thread, get a mod for that rifle.

Ps - surely the other rifles don't get a look in now you've joined the club.

Hi Eddy
I was advised against doing what you are contemplating.
The 15x1 with spigot suits the blaser barrel profile for a start, and the blaser barrels are made out of harder steel than most so any chop and re-thread, with re-proof of course, is likely to cost more than simply buying a new mod.
Getting ready for the boar already?

Hi All, I would have no qualms whatsoever about the quality of work I'm contemplating and the cost would be minimal compared to some others :)
It is just that I have made so many 'phone calls and heard so many conflicting stories ref the new moderators that my head is in a right tizwas.
Having had so many rifles cut, crowned and thread protector made with such quality that they did not show, I was just about to give in and stay with something I know.
All my present mods are 1/2" x 20 unf, as are my other rifles, so the transition of the Blaser would not be difficult.
I have gone to the trouble to get a variation for the new mod but nobody, that I have spoken to, has any in stock for me to look at and each advises me to get something different to what I have asked for.
The best 'advert' from a gun shop, that had one in stock, was for the Titanium mod but at £600 I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get the value out of such a purchase.
I'll take a bit longer before I go down the Chop route, just to give the moderator shops the opportunity to get something in to change my mind.
I'll keep you all posted.

I think that as long as the thread suits the barrel profile it sounds like a sensible way forward. I would be interested to hear who you would use, as I have heard that a number of 'smiths won't touch Blasers, although I don't know why that would be unless different tooling is required.

eddy youve had my advice on this either stick an Atec on the end thread no problem
or get your cash out and put a lawrence titanium precision again thread no problem
dont worry about how much it costs it comes with a lifetime garuantee so when
you hang up your boots you can leave it to me in your will and be happy thats its sitting
on a lovely R8 :lol::lol: regards pete .

Don't listen to him Eddy he will only launch it off the end of his rifle. Blasers seem to reject moderators, perhaps thy are a cut above that sort of thing and don't like some piece of old exhaust pipe stuck on the end of their barrels.:lol:

Regardless of the type of steel my mate would have the correct tool to do the job and make a good job of it too if I decide to go down that route.
As for the titanium having a life time guarantee, that's not much of a warranty in my case, according to the good book I've already had my time :D and as for leaving it to you Pete, I don't think you'd get to my house quick enough :D and if you did you'd have to climb over the rest of them helping themselves to the rest of my 'Good Junk' :D
I used to have a rifle once that fired Energa Grenades (spelling?) but it wasn't a blaser nor was the missile made of alloy :lol: and it used a ballastite cartridge - not a 30-06 round :lol:
Anyway back to the subject. As it was the week end I have had no luck finding anything so I'll start trying again tomorrow but if no luck by next week end it's for the chop :evil:

I've had/got T8's and Ase Utra Jet Z's on my Blaser barrels and will go the Jet Z route as and when the T8's expire... unless there's something better, and affordable, as and when that happens. Bought a Match .243 barrel a few years ago and couldn't wait for the arrival of the mod to fit, so it was re-cut to 5/8ths ......... which took as long to get down as the correct mod would've taken to arrive. Merde.

But......... due to the tough steel used by Blasers, the re-cut thread on that Match barrel and those done on my other Standard barrels which came un-screwcut, have never been as good as those cut by Blaser, by 'good ' I mean visually tidy but there's always the possibility of misalignment rearing it's head too.

atb
FBW

root of m15x1 sb 13mm so.3mm over 1/2" re cut thread then!
Already thought of for two seconds:)
Would still be left with the spigot on the barrell, and with the spigot being there to thread back to, spigot would leave a very small shoulder for the mod to butt up to.
Good idea but not practical unfortunately.:(

Absolutely nothing stopping a sleeve being fitted...

Totally practical if you do not wish to chop the barrel.
(will give a good shoulder too)

Better to think about it for more than 2 seconds!

But hey I'm not telling you what to do!

Last edited:
Eddy, there is no way I would chop the Blaser spigot for a 1/2" unf on a 30cal rifle. The spigot is a superior solution. Now listen up and I will save you some grief. Assuming you have a suitable Jet Z can, send it to Steve Kershaw and have him replace the base plate with a new one suitable for the 15x1 thread.

Not a great idea to re-thread the Blaser, they are very well done from the factory. the steel itself is no harder than ordinary chrome moly barrels, but the outside is plasma nitrided which gives an incredibly hard and wear resistant coating a few microns thick, once you remove the coated steel its going to be impossible to match the finish, and it will look pants. I would say the money you save on the mod you will lose on the value of the rifle.

My goodness, I have opened a can of worms haven't I.
I think from all the info, advice, admonishments and various ideas I've been given I think I sit on it for a while.
I'll have another week of 'ring rounds' to see if I can get a suitable mod with a 15x1 thread with a spigot and if I have no luck I'll have another think.
During the mean time I'll go back to using my Steyr Luxus, the one I cleaned up ready for an expected quick sale that hasn't come off.

Eddy
Sorry but the 30 cal sold ages ago, lack of enquiries from the site led me to look elsewhere.
Regards barrel chop, I was with Rupert from Open Season all weekend and we actually chatted about this. My 308 has an after Market cut, it was a 20" un-threaded barrel which I had threaded, I have a 264 Win mag away being done as we speak and my 6.5 x 55 was re-done by Simon Lawrence (Lawrence Precision) which has to be seen to be believed.
The steel the barrels are made of is much harder than standard but as long as the correct tooling is used it will be fine. Regarding sleeves for the spigot, steer well clear, I had 2 made by Steve Kershaw so I could use a PES mod and the group opened up to over 2 inches and that was tested on a number of Blasers, not necessarily the sleeve but why bother.
I know you're too long in the tooth (your own admission) but I can't recommend Simons mods highly enough, I believe Pete has a kidney on eBay as we speak! You also have a PM.

Back