boar attractants/bait

boar & deer

just wondering what you lot use i just normaly use whole maze and it works very well but would like to try some others

We use whole maize but also put beech tar on the trees this still attracts them when the food isn't as much of a draw.

We sat out last weekend and had three sow's and ten younsters turn up to rub on the trees, we havent fed the area for a couple of months.

Atb

Wayne

You give up relying on your aftershave and charm then Wayne?
:lol:, ohhhhhh sorry different type of sow

Last year in November, during the rut period, I started using pheromone attractant to attract big male and I can say I was pleased with the result. The rest of the time I use used engine oil mixed with mud. By far the best result, at least for the Romanian wild boars:p.

George, Quite a while ago I was told about using engine oil/diesel, and I tried diesel, and it works well, I used to tip a bit in wheel ruts,on the edges of woodland, needed to be somewhere it would soak into the mud and the pigs went for it,apparently they like to wallow in it to remove fleas etc.

A dead donkey,horse,scrub bull or any other meat carcase will do really well,greener the better quite often.Pigs love dead meat!:D

A dead donkey,horse,scrub bull or any other meat carcase will do really well,greener the better quite often.Pigs love dead meat!:D
And the bear also love dead meat:D.
Unfortunately, I can not use meat as bait for wild boar because meat will attract bears and wolves and not even a single wild boar, they do not like the smell of the bear or wolves. As a tip for attracting wild boars, try bury corn grain about 5-10 cm in the ground and than place about 20% of the amount above. The wild boar have a huge pleasure to dig for food.
Also a very good bait for boars is beets.

And the bear also love dead meat:D.
Unfortunately, I can not use meat as bait for wild boar because meat will attract bears and wolves and not even a single wild boar, they do not like the smell of the bear or wolves. As a tip for attracting wild boars, try bury corn grain about 5-10 cm in the ground and than place about 20% of the amount above. The wild boar have a huge pleasure to dig for food.
Also a very good bait for boars is beets.

Hi George

We bury maize as you described, works well keeps them at the bait area longer and they seem to keep digging in the same holes for days even when there isnt anty food there.

I have never tried oil, I think they use the beech tar for the same purpose they have a wallow then a rub on tree with tar on it. the knack is to shoot them before they get covered in tar ;)

Wayne

Photo0009.jpg

walnuts and almonds, if you can get them cheap enough, boar love, them bury them under a pile of rocks, if the rocks are scattered the next day, the boar are feeding in that area.

Prawns and anything fishy, bread soaked in eggs, orange sirop, jelly, brown sauce, anything i find in the cupboards normally and maize. Did use dog food once which seemed to work well to. Once they are in and feeding regularly I just put down the maize as cheaper. Burry it and it slows the deer down to. It's also nice to see the big hole they create getting it all out.

Walnuts, almonds, prawns and jelly! Gentlemen, you have some very happy and spoiled wild boar in England.:p Now, in a way more serious, more important than the quality of the food it si the smell of the bait and and the place where we put the bait. We have here two diferent baiting method: baiting to shoot and baiting to move wild boars from the neighborhood areas in the our area. I can be more specific, if someone is interested.

Back