Thread: Hopefully call some bucks this week!!

Hopefully call some bucks this week!!

Well, had my first attempt at calling deer on Saturday on a small restock woodland that we shoot over (only 40acres, narow, and notoriously difficult to shoot over). It was fairly quiet, we arrived at 6.00ish by which point the sun was well up and hot, and directly in our faces, we saw a doe and kid within 1st hour around 7am, they both ambled off quietly to the oppposite end of the ground out of sight. The undergrowth was very tall since last here and should anything be in the area we wouldn't have been able to see it as no high seats yet.

Nevertheless, after a couple of hours with nothing else showing we decided just to see if the buttolo calls would work as we have never used them in anger before. We tried a couple of bursts of the fiep-fiep-fiep... Couldn't believe it, two does came storming up to within 50 yards of us out of nowhere, and a young buck flashed away to our right never to be seen again as it clocked us fumbling for the sticks!! (we were not expecting such a barrage of deer so quickly!)

Now I know what to expect, I am going out later this week to give it a proper try and to be prepared for when it happens, I think the time is right now, hopefully a nice buck will think I am an admirer!!
    Timney

Having never used a caller before, my son bought me one for Christmas I tried it out on Thursday and shoot two bucks, they did not come running in but did stand and look at us.

Timney may i say the time is not right just yet way to early for calling bucks .What you have done is called does it just so happend the wee buck was with them. Now if you are useing the buttalo call the small squeeze is the kid in distrace call and will call does in my area from may time onwards. But i never call untill a doe is in season because then you can almost garrantee that a buck will follow her and normally a really good buck. Something else to consider is that once called in and made a fool of the does will soon know what the game is and will not come in as fast. (materal instincts will normally rule there heads). The bucks in my area have no real interest in the does just yet so calling would be a no no.
    Get to the ground put up a high seat and watch for the next two to three weeks then your calling will be on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Timney may i say the time is not right just yet way to early for calling bucks .What you have done is called does it just so happend the wee buck was with them. Now if you are useing the buttalo call the small squeeze is the kid in distrace call and will call does in my area from may time onwards. But i never call untill a doe is in season because then you can almost garrantee that a buck will follow her and normally a really good buck. Something else to consider is that once called in and made a fool of the does will soon know what the game is and will not come in as fast. (materal instincts will normally rule there heads). The bucks in my area have no real interest in the does just yet so calling would be a no no.
    Get to the ground put up a high seat and watch for the next two to three weeks then your calling will be on the money.
    Thanks for the advice 6p, I can see where you are coming from. Having the kid's in the area must certainly have been the major reason for their
    reactions. As I say, this was initially for an experiment (practice makes perfect and all that). It is a small bit of land with limited chances for stalking and poor visibility in the Summer (a narrow, newly planted strip of land 300yds wide at max rising upwards towards the far end so any approach by us can be seen over the grass). We are hopefully going to get a high seat sorted soon. For someone like me that has never done this before it was amazing to see. I will give it a few more weeks, and try it on our other ground when I see some activity of the rut, which hopefully will be more activity than we saw last year which was pretty quiet.
    Timney

What is a Ggood idea and one i have used many times is find an area with plenty of roe deer that you dont shoot or have no access to . The go there and have a play about with the differnt sounds and differnt calls it can be really good fun and teach you a lot before you go to do it for real on your own ground hope you get that big rutting buck now that is a real challange.

Timney, just one small tip, (you're sure to get lots) don't assume the deer will come from one direction. You may be watching one buck making his way towards the call and there could be another coming from anywhere around your position. Keep movement to a minimum but keep checking all around and always have your sticks ready to be set up.
    Good luck with the calling it can be fun or frustrating but rarely dull
    Pete.