Thread: First Fox with my .243.

First Fox with my .243.

Hiya, just in from an evenings "after dinner" stroll round one of my permissions...I took the Shotgun, as the farmer asked me to "do something about those bloody pigeons"....but also took my new..ish Remmy 700 .243 that I bought from Mick Volkes last week...long story, but I had borrowed a 30mm tubed scope till my new 25mm rings arrive..and set the gun up at the weekend...I had 4 rounds left out of a box...and loaded the gun up as the pigeons didnt show, cept in a field about 1/2 mile away...
    Anyway, had a wee walk round the farm, and left the best area till last...walked up the hill, and saw at about 140 yds, a pair of foxes larking about just outside a section of gorse...turns out they were messing around a dead sheep...so, had a shot at the better of the foxes ( angle wise), and down it went....the other stood and looked at me, but was straight on, and I didnt feel confident enough to shoot... so, watched it for a few seconds, hoping it would turn broadside...it didnt, and loped off into the gorse...

No pics tho, as I didnt take my fone...

So, Thanks to Mick for selling a great gun to me...now to get out tomorrow night after the others..there are more than just a pair...seen different foxes over the last few weeks, but didnt have a gun to do the job...now I have , and this weekend, weather dependant, the 17hmr is going for a walk too......

well done mate nice to see you left one as you wernt happy with the shoot, a calm steady head like that will pay off dividens in the future on the foxes but in time as your confidence and ability grows you will be able to take that shot good luck to you

Hi Norrie
    First of many i hope
    Geordie

Hi Guys, thanks for the kind comments...I've shot foxes with my old CZ .222, not many mind, but shot a few.. I wasnt totally confident in mainly me, and then the new gun.,..I dont want anything to crawl away into the undergrowth, to die later...so, decided not to shoot...as you say...I'll get used to the gun...and hopefully get a bit better...

i have always found crow bashing good practice and by crow bashing i actualy mean pidgeon, rabbit, squriel or anything else that is safe, legal and will stand in your way long enough to get shot at

Quote Originally Posted by Norrie1956 View Post
    Hi Guys, thanks for the kind comments...I've shot foxes with my old CZ .222, not many mind, but shot a few.. I wasnt totally confident in mainly me, and then the new gun.,..I dont want anything to crawl away into the undergrowth, to die later...so, decided not to shoot...as you say...I'll get used to the gun...and hopefully get a bit better...
    its a great cal 243 when i got mine set up paper at 70 mts 100 and 200 just to see whot it could do and the drop and like !!! you where rigth not take the shot if you where not happy he will be there for another day ???

Well done on the fox Norrie ............but shame on you for forgetting the phone for pictures.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    Well done on the fox Norrie ............but shame on you for forgetting the phone for pictures.....lol

LOl, It's not like me actually, I feel naked without my phone...but the wife got me a wee diggy camera to keep in the car... So....next time...