Anyone else tiring of cammo/realtree?

RED-DOT

At long last i have moved away from the "Johnny Kingdom" realtree and cammo clothing as it just looks too much poaching-bassa for me.. at Scone gamefair the dodgey looking guys all had it on and i think it looks intimidating but that may be what style these guys want... I have moved on to plain green from Fjallraven and Swedteam and find it doesn't freak the public out as much. I think plain green projects a more approachable look?

Last edited:
At long last i have moved away from the "Johnny Kingdom" realtree and cammo clothing as it just looks too much poaching-bassa for me.. at Scone gamefair the dodgey looking guys all had it on and i think it looks intimidating but that may be what style these guys want... I have moved on to plain green from Fjallraven and Swedteam and find it doesn't freak the public out as much.

Here here plain green, your not painting the picture that many, that see you out there think poacher killer that endless list .

Yep plain green or tweed patterns for me like you say at the game fairs you see the really dogdy dog men all in the real tree. Not saying all should be tarred with the same brush but its like everytime i see someone in doc martins i think of skin heads.

I have moved on to plain green from Fjallraven and Swedteam and find it doesn't freak the public out as much.
I'll stick with 'realtree' so that the public don't see me in the first place!;)
Mind you, I wouldn't wear it to a game fair!:confused:
MS:p

At long last i have moved away from the "Johnny Kingdom" realtree and cammo clothing as it just looks too much poaching-bassa for me.. at Scone gamefair the dodgey looking guys all had it on and i think it looks intimidating but that may be what style these guys want... I have moved on to plain green from Fjallraven and Swedteam and find it doesn't freak the public out as much. I think plain green projects a more approachable look?

Agreed, plain green or tweed (gentleman's goretex) for me.

Spend too much time in camo kit at work, wearing it stalking would be a bit much! Although i have worn combat trousers before because they are free and dry quickly, not because they make me look like...:doh:.. a pair of combat trousers!

well i use dpm buy kammo and plain green and i dont care a toss what anybody thinks if they want to start to judge people buy what they wear, all i have to say they all have narrow minds and are a sad lot of tossers if you ask me

I have some of everything, I try to match my requirements to the season / surroundings, for example on a bleached out stubble, I use an American version of a wetland duck shooter's pattern, seems to fool pigeon ok,Winter seems to suit the dark realtree stuff, & I have green Swanni's over Runnarkop also.

I have some of everything, I try to match my requirements to the season / surroundings, for example on a bleached out stubble, I use an American version of a wetland duck shooter's pattern, seems to fool pigeon ok,Winter seems to suit the dark realtree stuff, & I have green Swanni's over Runnarkop also.

I got to agree with Finbear, I use lots of diferent stuff depending on where I am going and the season/terrain. If I know I will be stopping in a public place (petrol station etc) I take a plain coloured 'civvie' jacket with me and put that on when I get out the car. If I'm in the field in full cammo I steer clear of the public access paths so no one sees me anyway.

I also have some very light weight summer time realtree stuff I bought in the US which is a size too big for me and I slip this on over my normal clothes when I get on site. it has tiny holes in it that let the wind through so I don't get too hot with it on. It's small and light enough that I roll it all up and keep it under the car seat when not using it. Whilst in the US I also saw some realtree/cammo boiler suit things in the Bass Pro shop that I thought would be useful for just slipping on when on site but I had blown my budget by the time I saw them so never got to try them out :(

Recently I have purchased some german flecktarn kit off fleabay and that is proving very good when out chasing the bunnies/squirrels and on Sunday I had a young roe buck browse his way to within about 15m of me whilst I lay in view at the side of a track watching him. He only clocked me because I tried to get my camera out my pocket. I've also had deer come all the way up to me whilst wearing plain green in similar situations. Maybe changing your style of stalking clothes at intervals could help keep the deer/quarry off guard, seems to be the case with the bunnies.

Also got to agree that I wouldn't wear cammo gear to a game fair, I just can't see the benefit of doing it as you are amongst like minded people anyway - maybe they are the antis trying to blend in! :stir: :lol:

I wouldn't go as far as tweed..... I'm still early 40's :D

But for stalking and rough shooting I wear plain green Jahti Jakt pro hunter, for foxing pigeons and rabbits I wear cammo.

I've got a selection of different camouflage jackets - but I've pre-ordered a Rivers West smock in olive green.....:confused:

What I wear depends upon what I'm doing (I don't wear a camouflage jacket if I'm shooting pheasants, but I do if I'm shooting pigeons, etc), but like some of the other posters, I don't wear it to a Game Fair.

IMHO, it's unnecessary - but I think it's a lot to do with identication of which 'tribe' you're in at that kind of event; I reckon you can see definite and distinct groupings at those things:
Full head-to-toe camo = I own a lurcher and/or a terrier
Full tweed = I go grouse shooting
Wearing a Musto or similar no matter how hot it is = I shoot a lot of driven pheasants

.....or is it just me that thinks that??:confused:

I wouldn't go as far as tweed..... I'm still early 40's :D

I am still in my 30's and wear it. nothing like it for trousers/breeks. dries fast, stays warm, breaths, never makes you sweat.
lets face it, if you are wearing anything whilst out stalking as a fashion statement then you proabably haven't thought it through!

I dont do the real tree look its not good for the type of stalking i do. But i have worn tweed since the start of my stalking its the dogs danggles and i dont care what you ware it must be fit for pourpose.

It's a personal thing, and it varies from one locality to the next, but where I'm from:

full camo, face veils, camo gloves, £5K customer built range-queen with £3K S&B PMII and ballistics software on the iphone, etc.
a. I don't have my own ground and I wish I was a sniper..I need to shoot trophy's and post pictures on forums - I try to seek approval from others, and I secretly have no friends,,,I don't think anyone really understands me...
b. I'm new to shooting and haven't really found my comfort zone, I haven't got a mentor and bring my terrier in the vitara.. I speak with a funny accent and do a lot of pigeon shooting..

full tweeds:
a. I'm english, live in scotland, but run the shoots on an estate that I don't own, I live in a newbuilt house. I need a haircut and secretly enjoy watching The Weakest Link...
b. I'm quite posh and drive a range rover, my dog won't fit in it because of my bespoke drawer system built in oak that fills the boot..my Hardy has never caught a salmon and I couldn't tie a fly to save my life..my wife is an alcoholic and I don't care that she cheats on me with the gardner...I like to seem intimidating to the guy working at Shell when I re-fuel for £150. I've never tasted Irn Bru.
c. My tweeds are worn and have been repaired a thousand times, but I am a reasonably intelligent person who enjoys stalking on my own grounds, I enjoy driven shoots but prefer rough shooting with my dog. I don't really care what people think of my at the pub, because I have a life at home..

General Green trousers and button-downs/etc:
a. I'm a normal person, I live a normal life...
b. I wear clothes for the purpose of it, not to make a statement

sorry to all those offended,,,this is just for a bit of fun:lol:

i just wear any old stuff that is right for the time of year and weather that wont make me look like a plonker :)

well i use dpm buy kammo and plain green and i dont care a toss what anybody thinks if they want to start to judge people buy what they wear, all i have to say they all have narrow minds and are a sad lot of tossers if you ask me
Well said that man,if I want to wear cammo I will do,dont much care for johnny kingdom tho lol HORNET

I dont give a rats ring what others think and attempt to project with their Freudian rubbish and thus I wear (as some of the above others do) whatever that suits the occasion,hill,mountain,bush or scrub,dry spurs or lush green valleys. I wear my camo and truly do believe that it gives me an edge and that equates to success,my freezer is full as a tick and there isnt a great deal of room left on the wall,but I`m still trying!
I have even been known to wear a leafy suit to get in tight and close but it certainly is not what I would be seen anywhere other than in the field or a hideaway hidden hunting camp haha.

Last edited:
i just wear any old stuff that is right for the time of year and weather that wont make me look like a plonker :)

I wear Realtree, dose that mean i'm a PLONKER!! :eek: :D

but also have Swedteam ( Green ) & Tweed which I wear whenever, I rekon some are to quick to judge.

I wear what I want to, when I want to.,and don't try to disguise who I am !! just an ordinary bloke.

Just my opinion, which I hope none will take offence too!!!

Rgds, Buck.

Back