Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Weatherby Vanguard anyone got one??

Advice on Weatherby Vanguard anyone got one??

Hi guys went into Garlands, my local shop looking at a new stalking rifle and they swore by the Weatherby vanguard! they have a good deal on them with a Zeiss 6x42, mounts, gun slip and sling for a Grand!! I thought it was a good deal?? i looked at the stainless/synthetic and it looks very nice. This was an extra 120,One thing i can't understand the stock forend seems a tight fit to the barrel! i thought they all had to be free floating?? before i order one i would like some opinions on them please!! Reading all the info on them they come with a factory shot target guarantee of 1 and a half inch group at 100yds. Apparently there made in Japan?

The Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa, the same model as the Howa 1500 Lighting.

Good honest rifle.

The barrels are pressure bedded at the tip of the forend, it is an American thing, some are still are not convinced in a free floated barrel. But it only takes a few minutes with a bit of wooden dowel and some sandpaper to open out the barrel channel to free float the barrel.

All the best.

Thar.

Seems alright! I'd go for a Tikka T3 though! But then again the Vanguard with the Zeiss will do the job just as well. The stainless / synthetic is a good idea. Since getting one I spend hardly no time cleaning it!

Norm,
    Could you post a picture of the rifle when you get it please? I like guns!
    Has Garlands still got the 90 metre range for trying out rifles?

Regular Poster
    What Cal were you looking at as I have a Howa for sale - stainless Synthetic and the barrel has fired less than a box but does shoot well even with factory ammo. 300WSM - 350 inculding bases

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...WSM/300WSM.jpg

i'll post a pic if i get it, Jamie at Garlands said upto 3 month delivery so may go with something else.Garlands do still have the 90mtr range only a fiver an hour just phone and speak to terry to book it.Beats the drive all the way to Minsterley!! thanks for the offer on the rifle i'm looking for a .308. I have given Garlands a deposit but this is exchangeable to another rifle so committed to them really? i don't mind as long as i get to use the zeroing facility then fantastic.

The Weatherby Vanguard's are made by HOWA, in fact I think they are rebadged HOWA 1500's!
    personally I would go with the much cheaper HOWA, well actually I have, I have just ordered a heavy barrelled HOWA 1500 .243 8)

Did you have alook at the Savage (also a Garlands import) while you were there? That Accutrigger seems pretty good. Only ever dry fired one but seemed OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    Did you have alook at the Savage (also a Garlands import) while you were there? That Accutrigger seems pretty good. Only ever dry fired one but seemed OK.
    I used to have a SAVAGE .243, it was pre just "accu-trigger" admittedly but it was the absolute worst rifle I have ever owned or fired, the build quality and finish was agricultural to say the least and regardless of what ammo it was fed, it grouped like a spud-gun, I would not have another one even if it was given to me for free!!