Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shafted by insurance smallprint.

Shafted by insurance smallprint.

I RECENTLY HAD MY VEHICLE STOLEN WHILST OUT STALKING UNFORTUNATLY WITH A LARGE AMOUNT OF KIT IN IT AS IT WAS A VERY HOT DAY THERE WERE 3 OF US STALKING SO LEFT A LOT OF KIT BEHIND-JACKETS, WATERPROOFS, BINOS, SPARE SIGHT,RIFLE CASE,BOOTS ETC,. AFTER THE THEFT I CONTACTED MY INSURANCE BROKER WHO SAID I WAS COVERED ON MY HOUSE INSURENCE AS I HAVE OUT OF HOUSE COVER FOR JUST OVER 5,000 FOR MY SPORTS EQUIPMENT.SO FAR SO GOOD, I CONTACTED ROYAL SUN ALLIANCE CLAIMS AS DIRECTED BY MY BROKER AND THE CLAIMS LADY WAS MOST HELPFULL AND REASURING. THEN IT STARTS TO GO BAD- THE CLAIMS AGEN TELEPHONES MY A DAY LATER FOR DETAILS AND RECIPTS, A MR MARTYN BANKS AND POLITLY TOLD ME THAT I WOUNT BE GETTING PAID OUT IN FULL AS THERE IS A CLAUSE IN THE SCHEDULE THAT LIMITS CLAIMS TO 1,000 FOR THEFT FROM AN UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE, IF I HAD BEEN THERE I WOULD BE PAID IN FULL BET AS I WAS NOT I WOULD NOT.
    I CANT BELIVE IT WOT'S THE POINT OF INSURING YOUR KIT OUTSIDE HOME IF IT'S NOT COVERED IN YOUR VEHICLE ON REASURCHING THIS IT SEEMS A HUGE NUMBER OF INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE THIS CLAUSE BURRIED SOMEWHERE IN THE SCHEDULE (NOWHERE NORMAL PEOPLE WOULD SEE IT THOUGH) WHAT A RIP OFF
    P.S. ALSO THEY NOW WANT A ADDITIONAL 485.00 ANUALLY TO ADD MY BLASER R93 RIFLE TO THE POLICY.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    sack them and search eleswhere,read the fine print,though its often in insurancespeak and us humans cant understand it usually.

Lloyds. Will not pay out unless it personal and not wot could be classified as tools, knives and shooting equipment come under tools ?. Do they think you would have lost 5000 if you were in the car.

A gamekeeper mate had all hisfirearms stolen from his house, all were locked in his safe. The insurance company are saying as they were tools of his trade they would not pay out. The total claim comes to about 15,000, the saga still continues, he has obtained legal advice and is taking them on.

My Father managed over 100 motor coaches and had to deal with many insurance claims.

He was sure that if you had a bump on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday the insurance would not cover that day !!

Brianm

A few years back I had my car stolen. No I didn't. The car was used in line with my business. The driver was an employee. He had my pemission do drive from my carpark to the ferry terminal in Oban. I was on holiday. He did a runner with the car. I phoned the police. As the driver was given the keys by me it was not stolen. Informed my insurance company same story. It is a civil problem. It was up to me to recover my car and if I so wished take him to civil court for the recovery. He eventually returned it to the carpark in Tyndrum. So remember if you let Fred have your landie to pick up his deer he can keep it.???????????????????/ Jim

welcome to the seedy world of insurance.

biggest con on the planet. everyone "MUST" have it but it costs as much as the item you are insuring and wont pay out if you are wearing odd socks that day. hate them.

You need to challenge them on everything. how would your car be broken into if you were in it!? car jacking is not that common in rural England!!

I had a flood from above, my neighbours fault. his insurance wont cover my damage because he was not negligent, i.e he didnt ignore it.

I delayed due to the snow in NY last christmas. it was cancelled forcing us to stay an extra 2 1/2 days in Canada, rehire the vehicle, check into a hotel etc etc (2 adults 3 kids).
    Insurance small print kicked in and they were going to pay me 12 a day per person maximum!!
    I went ballistic and sent them the marketing email and quote and threatened to take them to the Advertising Standards Agency

762 later we settled

Ahhh, the joys of insurance

I think everyone in the world has a story about an insurance company ripping them off and not trying to pay out of what should be a straight forward claim. The trick is to be very harsh with them, threaten them with taking them to court, ASA, and the best of them all,,,BBC's Watchdog - they are very afraid of that one, trust me!

Oh, BTW, if you 'had' been present when the theft happened, you would have been eligible for up to 5,000 compensation...NO! that's where they get you again, had you been 'present' and had let the gear get stolen, they would have argued you had been negligent in looking after your possesions..

this is no-win situation no matter what...b@stards...

then again, if they want to play dirty, you just have to do the same...

Check the details of your motor policy. The insurers always want to know if an item is also insured elsewhere. If your home policy does not cover them then there may be a chance that by default some or all items are covered under the motor policy. Also the items belonging to your mates should be covered by their policies.
    There is no easy out on this because even if they do pay you out you will lose the policy excess not to mention the amount by which your premiums will go up next year.
    Good luck,
    Pete

Anybody else take a spare sight when out stalking? I bet it was a Schmidt or Zeiss
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.