Norwegian taking up residency in UK

Chris Rob

Hi all

Through a friend I've been asked to help out a Norwegian citizen who is coming to live in the UK. He's the fiance[FONT=&quot][/FONT] of this friends daughter & will be living with them on their 70 acre farm.

He's hunted in the UK on a guest permit a number of times but as he's now taking up residency so he want to bring his rifles & shotguns here permanently.

Does anyone know the procedure he must use to enable him to do this? I have drafted him a letter offering him guest stalking with me plus he can shoot over the farm where he is living but will he need to apply for a UK firearms license or is there another way forward.

We have asked Thames Vally Police but no reply as yet. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Cheers

Chris

Last edited:
He's the finance of this friends daughter & will be living with them on their 70 acre farm.

Hi Chris,

I take it she's 'high maintenance' then? ;)

If he will eventually be permanently resident in UK then he will have to apply for the UK FAC & SGC in the area he will be residing.

However, the easiest and quickest method to get his kit over here before the often long winded process gets sorted, is to get him a Visitors Permit issued with you as his sponsor. Details should be on your force's website. He will need to get his European Firearms Pass forwarded to you for this.

BTW. His existing experience and hunter/weapons training and certification should help by-pass any conditions that the FLD may seek to impose and he should strongly resist any nonsense in that regard.

Thanks for that Orion, we've already sorted a years visitor permit just a permanent solution needed now. Yes I believe we can apply for a UK firearms & shotgun certificate once he's here permanently in October.

Cheers

Chris

As soon as he's here to stay, get an application form filled out, along with permission letters for land here, copies of his European Pass and any Norwegian evidence of tests / experience and a covering letter explaining his previous UK stalking experience. Take it by hand to Kidlington (I assume Thames Valley are still based there) along with payment. Ask to see someone who can confirm it "looks ok" and hand it all over. Ask them for guidance then go home and wait for them to get back to him to arrange a home visit.
In the meantime enjoy the sport on the visitors permit. (He can bring his firearms to this country with that).
It would probably help to state up front that he will be storing his firearms in a safe location/ cabinet that only he has access to (standard practice etc)

Ian

As above but do make an appointment with Firearms Licensing at Kidlington. Just turning up is not always well recieved.

Pretty much all sorted now, many thanks for the replies. As soon as he's domiciled here we apply for his firearms & shotgun certificates as normal & there's an unused cabinet in the farmhouse he will have use of.

Cheers

Chris

Back