Thread: Roe/Dog hearing?

Roe/Dog hearing?

Which do you think has the greater hearing - - Roe Deer or Labrador ? On a few occasions recently, when deep in woodland and naively thinking that we were being as quiet as mice, the farm dog has barked at us when we were several hundred yards away. I know it is us he is barking at because he then proceeds directly towards us to investigate.
    The question then is -- if Roe hearing is even more acute (which I expect to be the case) are they much more aware of human presence by sound than we think?

JR

Thats a hard one to answer, all i can say is i've been far more successful shooting Roe than Labrador's

On asking a family member who was an audiologist this is what he told me :

Dogs hear at a wider range of frequencies than humans.( who only hear sounds up to about 23 kHz. ) The low end of the range is similar,
    but dogs hear noises up to 45 kHz, but with the ability to detect sounds within the low ultrasonic (18 to 22 kHz and above).

Deer have a hearing range similar to that of humans (typically 20 Hz to 20 kHz), but with the ability to detect
    sounds within the low ultrasonic (20 kHz and above).

So I rekon the Dog has more accute hearing than Deer, though I find that hard to believe!!

Atb, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Most times the dogs will sent you before they here you and there sence of smell is incredable. Hearing is fantastic as well and depending on what breed they also have great eye site. Deer to me have a brilliant sence of smell great hearing and ok eye site in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    but dogs hear noises up to 45 kHz, but with the ability to detect sounds within the low ultrasonic (18 to 22 kHz and above).

Deer have a hearing range similar to that of humans (typically 20 Hz to 20 kHz), but with the ability to detect
    sounds within the low ultrasonic (20 kHz and above).

So I rekon the Dog has more accute hearing than Deer, though I find that hard to believe!!
    In terms of stalking the ability of both animals to hear very high frequencies is probably not so very important for the simple reason that higher frequencies suffer more attenuation with distance than the lower frequencies. This is in part why you will often hear the low frequency "rumble" of a deer running away through the forest but yet you can't hear the russle of grass/twigs/leaves etc.

My belief is that this works to our advantage if we stalk slowly and don't make any low frequency thumps then it seems to me I get get away with a reasonable amount of higher frequency noise.

Another factor that I think is important in stalking deer, and this would apply to a lesser degree to dogs as well I guess, is that their ears are directional - that is to say that they are much more sensitive to noise presented at the front of their ear than from behind it. Hence why they can move their ears. When the ears are pointing away from us then this would present a suitable chance to make some movement without being heard. Again this effect will also be somewhat frequency selective and so the ears will be more directional at high frequencies than at lower ones so this again highlights that it is important not to make any low frequency "thumps" while stalking - jumping down a peat bank for example or taking a heavy step to regain balance or even accidentally kicking something.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Another factor that I think is important in stalking deer, and this would apply to a lesser degree to dogs as well I guess, is that their ears are directional - that is to say that they are much more sensitive to noise presented at the front of their ear than from behind it. Hence why they can move their ears. When the ears are pointing away from us then this would present a suitable chance to make some movement without being heard. Again this effect will also be somewhat frequency selective and so the ears will be more directional at high frequencies than at lower ones so this again highlights that it is important not to make any low frequency "thumps" while stalking - jumping down a peat bank for example or taking a heavy step to regain balance or even accidentally kicking something.
    This is just what I was thinking, it's more about the deers ability to move it's ears and pin point the direction a noise is coming from. I think it may also depend on how much the other senses are used, a dog and deer may have comparable hearing but is a dog more reliant on scent and sight?

I can't really comment because my dog has no nose...
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Oh go on then just for you
    How does he smell........?

Although I prefer this dog

That'll teach him not to mess with a Teckel
    Last edited by dave 67; 06-07-2011 at 14:41.

Quote Originally Posted by dave 67 View Post
    Oh go on then just for you
    How does he smell........?
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    . Hearing is fantastic as well and depending on what breed they also have great eye site. .
    i must take my gwp to the vet her hearing is terrible especially when i give her a command