Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: roe head

roe head

evening all,in april i shot my best ever roebuck from my pals ground in northumberland ,as it stands now its weight for a full skull is 499 grams,whats the chance of it making a medal is there any rough guide that i can use as i would like to know if it is worth getting scored many thanks eric.

Quote Originally Posted by big eka View Post
    evening all,in april i shot my best ever roebuck from my pals ground in northumberland ,as it stands now its weight for a full skull is 499 grams,whats the chance of it making a medal is there any rough guide that i can use as i would like to know if it is worth getting scored many thanks eric.
    Rough guide and only a rough guide uncut skull 444g possible bronze 510g possible silver 540g possible gold
    These weights are after skull having dried for a full 90 days a head can loose up to about 10% of its weight over this period, though there is quite a variation in weight lost.

If you are interested I could print a measuring formula for you, just let me know.

May i say that it will make a possible good bronze as a full skull the recomended weight by the CIC is around 460 grm from a bronze. 520 for a silver and around 590 for a gold.

These are just guides but if you had it less than 450 i would not put it in .The good news is if you prepared it early April then it will be dry and will not loose more weight .

http://www.cictrophy.com/MeasuringGuide.html

Volume has a huge effect on the outcome.

I saw 2 heads scored at Scone this year, both nice symetrical 6 pointers that weighed 510g & 526g and both scored 102cic (not even bronze).

They only had volume of 130cc.

Mark.

The only thing i can say mark they didnt come from fife i will bet lol. But you can send your head in if it dont make a medal then you dont pay. Got to be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by big eka View Post
    Swedish Qwik-Fix Formula.
    Works fairly well.

Gross weight of dry full top skull, minus 90 grammes, multiply by 0.23 and add 20 .

HWH.

The 510g head was a fife buck but the 526g came from your neck of the woods East Ayrshire, shot by a friend of a friend.

I have another 510g fife buck that looks like it will scrape through.

I just sent one in to CIC UK OF THIS SITE AND ONE WAS 545 I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF YOUR FORMULA WORKS IF IT DOSE IT WILL BE A GOOD SILVER.

Quote Originally Posted by mj robson View Post
    The 510g head was a fife buck but the 526g came from your neck of the woods East Ayrshire, shot by a friend of a friend.

I have another 510g fife buck that looks like it will scrape through.
    At 510gr it could make Silver , no-one could make it less than Bronze.

HWH.

Hey can a 545 grm make gold if it has good volume just hopeing