Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BA Alert

BA Alert

Guys,

Be warned that BA are currently refusing to carry rifles in .308 because they consider them to be 'weapons of war' - The fact they carried the entire UK shooting team to SA with umpteen 308s recently and that they have carried loads of them from London to Scotland for the last 40 years or so seems unimportant............ Honestly, what a load of ********!

I wonder what they'll do in 2012 when the UK hosts the Olympics..........

The french wont allow .308s either, do they have a new froggie boss?

How sure are you on this ? I have just booked a fight to south africa with BA i told them im travelling with a firm arm in .308 calibre They said it was fine. I will be Phoneing them today to make sure. Will post my findings.

Just got off the phone, im on a BA flight from Heathrow to Joburg next year, We will be traveling with a .308 of which i was told no problem. I phoned again to express my worries, They have told me i can take my .308 on the flight.

Just got off the phone, im on a BA flight from Heathrow to Joburg next year, We will be traveling with a .308 of which i was told no problem. I phoned again to express my worries, They have told me i can take my .308 on the flight.

Get them to put it in writing. - I've just had a client who was due to fly LHR-DAR with BA for a hunt in Tanzania and he was told he cannot under any circumstances take a 308. I called the BA senior worldwide risk assesment duty manager the day afterwards and was told the same thing. I know it's BS, but if you've been told you can take a 308, I suggest you have it in writing so you can wave it under the nose of the check in agent if he or she gives you trouble.

Thankyou Shakari, i will be on the phone again and get them to do that, will let everyone know how i get on.

Always a pleasure to be of help.

Been onto my contact at Heathrow who deals in flights, some countrys like tanzania they wont except the firearm, Flying in joburg SA They will. If once at joburg and you get an internal flight to somewhere like Durban no firearms will be allowed. My contact will be speaking to BA again to make sure the .308 is on the ticket details. Flying with South African airways was much easier, but all tickets are sold. Wot a bum

Frankly, I wouldn't trust that info as I know for an absolute fact that Tanzania does allow 308s. - In fact, it's even listed as a permissable calibre on the hunting licence. I guarantee that the problem lies with BA at LHR. Like I said, get it in writing. They don't seem to know which way is up on this. Their reasoning is that a 308 is a weapon of war - which is total BS. There is a similar calibre that's used as a military round but it has a different case length. The fact that the 308 will be used by umpteen olympic shooters in the forthcoming olympics seems neither here nor there to them.
    Incidentally, don't forget that BA also require at least 72 hours notice of your travelling with ANY firearms, so go see your travel agent and ask them to enter the fact that you'll be travelling with SPORTING FIREARMS (note that exact phrase!) into the comments section of your booking and take a hard copy of the booking with you when you travel.