Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bullet pulling

bullet pulling

Hi
    If you have some polymer tipped bullet reloads you have to pull,jam a generous amount of cotton wool into the kinetic hammerhead.Hey presto no more knackered bullets.
    MARK

Re: bullet pulling

Quote Originally Posted by marky123
    Hi
    If you have some polymer tipped bullet reloads you have to pull,jam a generous amount of cotton wool into the kinetic hammerhead.Hey presto no more knackered bullets.
    MARK
    Do you know I have never been able to get my kinetic hammer to work at all. I now use a set of Sinclair pliers and the bullet press.

I read elsewhere recently that it is an offence to dismantle a loaded round !!. Its not illegal to have the equipment but using it is.

A

bullet puller

I use the RCBS press mounted style once you get used to the feel you can dismantle round with no mess and save the heads with a diffrent collet for each calibre

I use a Forster bullet puller plus collet from Tim Hannam.

bullet puller

If your serious about dismantling rounds get a proper press mounted collet job, kinetic hammers are useless. (Hornady/R.C.B.S.)etc;

I use a kinetic hammer and never had a problem.

Place a 6 inch piece of timber on a solid floor (concrete or similar) with the end grain pointing upwards. This allows the wood to absorb just enough force to avoid damaging the hammer.
    I never use the 3 part shellholder that comes with the hammer but a Lee one that normally fits in the reloading press for the particular cartridge.

Never attempt to remove the bullet with one hard strike but aim for three moderate ones. With practice I can unload a round in a few seconds.

kinetic hammer

So how messy is your powder recovery? wouldn't want to do a batch of 500 from a sale with one!

The powder drops into the inside of the plastic hammer which I pour into a container. No problem at all.

I would never unload a batch of 100 rounds with any system never mind 500! I don't think its a very good idea and I hope I'm never that hard up!

The only rounds I unload are when I have been testing to find an optimum load and have a few that may have a little too much powder in.