Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AGM Verein Hirschmann

AGM Verein Hirschmann

The Hanoverian breed Society had its AGM. I just received the report.
    It makes interesting reading.

The 439 dogs whose tracking returns were analysed, tracked 14231 times of which 6107 were "difficult tracks". An average of 32 tracks per hound. The top 10% must have been busy.
    The main quarry was wild boar 4448 followed by red 1276, fallow 332 and moeflon 48.

In Germany the HS does not track roe.

The 2 main problems that where discussed were epilepsy which was found in a tschech kennel and "blackmarket breeders" with the help of dogs from Rumania.
    The VH reports that pedigrees from these dogs are invalid and proposes closer co-operation with the Bulgarian breed society.
    Official pups from the VH costs Euro 700 whilst the blackmarket ones without papers cost between 1200 and 1500.

Hi Barongcw,

Thanks for the information.

Can i ask why they don't use them to track Roe?

Regards
    Kendall.

When I asked many years ago I was given various reasons:

1 Roe is not "hochwild" like red deer and is as such not "worthy" of being tracked by a Hanoverian.

2 Roe have scent glands between the hooves making it too easy to track and thus spoiling the hound who is afterwards unable to track more difficult spoors.

3 Roe live normally in a small area and the ground is full of tracks of that deer. The hound is thus easily confused. I ought to have added that the Verein now "allows" its members to track row but only after they have done at least 20 other tracks.

4 Roe being lightweight compared to other deer species does not leave as much soil disturbance as the bigger species and are thus more difficult to track.

Take your pick. I believe it is a combination of 3 and 4.

To end I should add that I have seen quite a few Hanoverians tracking roe with great succes but the Verein Hirschmann is a law into itself.

Their dogs are outstanding. There is one small problem. It is exceptionally difficult to get one from them. Very good pups can now be bought on the continent. With papers when the new quarantaine laws start on Jan 1.

Wow, how very confusing.

thank you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    When I asked many years ago I was given various reasons:

1 Roe is not "hochwild" like red deer and is as such not "worthy" of being tracked by a Hanoverian.

2 Roe have scent glands between the hooves making it too easy to track and thus spoiling the hound who is afterwards unable to track more difficult spoors.

3 Roe live normally in a small area and the ground is full of tracks of that deer. The hound is thus easily confused. I ought to have added that the Verein now "allows" its members to track row but only after they have done at least 20 other tracks.

4 Roe being lightweight compared to other deer species does not leave as much soil disturbance as the bigger species and are thus more difficult to track.

Take your pick. I believe it is a combination of 3 and 4.

To end I should add that I have seen quite a few Hanoverians tracking roe with great succes but the Verein Hirschmann is a law into itself.

Their dogs are outstanding. There is one small problem. It is exceptionally difficult to get one from them. Very good pups can now be bought on the continent. With papers when the new quarantaine laws start on Jan 1.

George, I thought that Hanovarians were the Rolls Royce of tracking dogs. But from what you wrote a roe deer track must send them into a near nervous meltdown. Never realised a roe could be so hard, easy, confusing to track for a Hanovarian .
    Roe are not Högvilt in Sweden either but all our dogs can track them without confusion.
    Must be the cow blood and boar, moose, roe hoof way in which we train them

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    George, I thought that Hanovarians were the Rolls Royce of tracking dogs. But from what you wrote a roe deer track must send them into a near nervous meltdown. Never realised a roe could be so hard, easy, confusing to track for a Hanovarian .
    Roe are not Högvilt in Sweden either but all our dogs can track them without confusion.
    Must be the cow blood and boar, moose, roe hoof way in which we train them
    Alan,

I track them with my HS without too much problems but what I quoted are the rules of the Verein Hirschmann.
    I think that apart from the reasons I gave earlier by saying the HS should not be used to track roe it stops 10'000 of hunter asking the VH if they can get one. They only breed about 50 a year and the breeding is very tightly controlled.

You will be glad to knowthat Bavarians have no such problems as I hear you are getting one soon?

See you in the autumn?

George, I'm hoping there will be a BMH pup for me. It made me smile with the reasons you had been told as to why roe can't be tracked with a Hanovarian. Strange how these myths are come about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    George, I'm hoping there will be a BMH pup for me. It made me smile with the reasons you had been told as to why roe can't be tracked with a Hanovarian. Strange how these myths are come about.
    Rudi was here for the Game Fair. I did my bit for you.

If people think in this country that the Kennel Club has a mind of its own they should learn german and read the musings of the Verein Hirschmann.

But praise where praise is due. Whilst they are the most incompetenty run organisation I have ever come across the hounds they breed and which are trained according to their pricipals are in a league of their own.

The mind boggles when you read that one of them followed a 10 mile track and got its beast. My hound could not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post

The mind boggles when you read that one of them followed a 10 mile track and got its beast. My hound could not do that.
    Now that is something else - can we ask you to find the report and translate please Baron.

Rgds

Ian
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Now that is something else - can we ask you to find the report and translate please Baron.

Rgds

Ian
    It was not a report, just a few lines in the annual report of the Verein Hirschmann.