Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fox vermin and 22

fox vermin and 22

There was an interesting piece in the BASC magazine this month that stated that fox are classed as vermin and suggested that you can legally shoot them with any rifle that you have permission to shoot vermin with.

Although it did go on to have a little 'disclaimer' at the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 22lr-fox.pdf  
    Last edited by mel; 09-07-2011 at 17:54. Reason: crap speeling

I would be amazed it there is anyone on here that never knew this.... (why post)?

One of my students recently asked me a question similar to this. The confusion in his case seemed to have arisen due to a recent Shooting Times article, but I'm not sure which one. Perhaps this is the reason for the clarification?

I posted it because I have fox & vermin expressly stated for my 17hmr which previously only had vermin stated. I was always under the impression that fox were not classed as vermin in the eyes of the law and had to be specifically stated. I also have feral sheep & goats on my centrefire rifles but if they are feral and wandering around eating the crops etc shouldn't these also be classed as vermin and therefore legally shot with a rimfire? The case could then be argued for deer eating crops etc. these too are effectively vermin but as we all know you would be in a heap of trouble if you shot one without them being stated on your FAC for that calibre..

And if everyone already new that it was the case, why did BASC feel the need to print the article? Did everyone else already know this?

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    I posted it because I have fox & vermin expressly stated for my 17hmr which previously only had vermin stated. I was always under the impression that fox were not classed as vermin in the eyes of the law and had to be specifically stated. I also have feral sheep & goats on my centrefire rifles but if they are feral and wandering around eating the crops etc shouldn't these also be classed as vermin and therefore legally shot with a rimfire? The case could then be argued for deer eating crops etc. these too are effectively vermin but as we all know you would be in a heap of trouble if you shot one without them being stated on your FAC for that calibre..

And if everyone already new that it was the case, why did BASC feel the need to print the article? Did everyone else already know this?

Oofft!! Deer? Vermin!?

I hope you've got your tin hat on!!!!

Posted earlier today,Legislative obstacle?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Forget about Deer, read between the lines, & remember how many different forces MAKE the law with regard to firearms!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Avon and Somerset certainly do not see fox as vermin and separately name fox in the conditions. They won't condition rimfires for fox either.

No, there isn't anything in law that says you can't use a rimfire for fox, but if the conditions on your certificate separate fox from vermin and you go against them then you leave yourself open to trouble. No one has been prosecuted so far maybe... I don't know how the rest of you feel but personally I don't fancy being the test case.

Alex

Does anyone else not wonder why vermin have their own section in chapter 13 of the HO Guidance and Fox have one devoted soley to that species?

The term “vermin” is not
    defined in law, but it may include destructive
    species that cause damage to crops or
    property such as rabbits, mink, stoat, weasel,
    brown rat, and grey squirrel, as well as some
    birds such as wood pigeon, rook and crow.
    Foxes are dealt with in paragraphs 13.23 and

Might just be conicidental, but could be why most FLDs list Fox seperately, and like Alex I'll not be the test case.

[QUOTE=csl;236684]Avon and Somerset certainly do not see fox as vermin and separately name fox in the conditions. They won't condition rimfires for fox either.

No, there isn't anything in law that says you can't use a rimfire for fox, but if the conditions on your certificate separate fox from vermin and you go against them then you leave yourself open to trouble. No one has been prosecuted so far maybe... I don't know how the rest of you feel but personally I don't fancy being the test case.

Alex[/QUOTE

Definite No for rimfires on foxes in Lancashire. Had a bit of a job getting .204 conditioned for foxes as my FEO had not had any dealings with the calibre and I was the only one in his area that had asked for one. Did a bit of homework prior to his visit, gave him several websites to look at and printed copies of muzzle velocity/bullet energy. He went away happy got cert back two days later.