Thread: lee classic loader

lee classic loader

if using once fired brass from someone else if using a lee loader will you have to get the brass fully resized first b4 reloading them

You should, but it's not always essential, or so I found.

Neil.

Ok I have never used a lee loader,I always assumed they full length sized the case?so do they just neck size then?

The Classic Lee Loader neck sizes only so brass may or may not fit if fired in someone elses gun. Lee recommends trying the brass in your gun (empty) before loading to assure fit of loaded rounds. Even if the bolt closes snugly, the brass will fire form to your rifle at the first round and then act like one fired ammo from your rifle. The sure-fire method is to use new brass or that fired in your gun. Had a nice fellow give me a 30-30 Lee Classic today....~Muir

Depends on the two rifles' chambers. If the once-fired brass comes from a rifle with an all-round smaller chamber than yours, it will fit OK even if only neck sized. It is not good practice though to take risks in this. If the fired case is even marginally oversize in its headspace, or any point of the body, say less than a thousandth of an inch greater diameter at the bottom end of the case-body for instance, it risks giving slightly hard chambering of the loaded round, but the need to use a drop or cleaning rod to get the case back out of your rifle which sticks tight on its next firing. It is easy to overstress or damage the extractor in this sort of situation and may make a follow-up shot impossible.

If you want to use the Lee Loader, start with new brass or factory ammunition fired only in your rifle - it's better and possibly cheaper in the long run.

yes cheers guys i tried the brass in chamber b4 loading it and it was tight so didnt want to risk it ill get a mate to resize them then ill be ok thanks again for replies
    webby

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Depends on the two rifles' chambers. If the once-fired brass comes from a rifle with an all-round smaller chamber than yours, it will fit OK even if only neck sized. It is not good practice though to take risks in this. If the fired case is even marginally oversize in its headspace, or any point of the body, say less than a thousandth of an inch greater diameter at the bottom end of the case-body for instance, it risks giving slightly hard chambering of the loaded round, but the need to use a drop or cleaning rod to get the case back out of your rifle which sticks tight on its next firing. It is easy to overstress or damage the extractor in this sort of situation and may make a follow-up shot impossible.

If you want to use the Lee Loader, start with new brass or factory ammunition fired only in your rifle - it's better and possibly cheaper in the long run.
    ~Muir

if it fits use it, if it doesnt get it sized or dont use it.
    I use once fired norma from my father's 270 without problem.
    once fired from my 270 wont chamber without effort in his though