Thread: Dead Roe Fawn

Dead Roe Fawn

Hi All,

Decided to take the rifle for a walk last night, and came across a dead roe fawn in a slight clearing in some woodland. No obvious cause of death, and the carcass was very fresh, so the poor deer had only died that day.
    The fawn seemed to be underweight, so maybe mum got killed on the roads or something.
    I brought the carcass back as a future taxidermy project

Has anyone else come across dead fawns in their stalking career?

Found one dead once, but fairly sure it was either a still born, or died fairly soon after birth, as it was clean and dry, so the doe had at least cleaned it up. Had saw a pregnant doe the day before then found the dead kid in the same area, it was very small.
    I did have it mounted, but stored it an attic while I was doing an extension on my house and mice gnawed the hoofs and ear tips, will post a pic when I get a chance

Moose

Cheers for the relpy Moose. This fawn looked to be a week or two old from the look of things. Poor bugger - didnt get nuch of a life.

Lakey

This situation can arise when roe triplets are born (Rarely) However I have known this occur with roe kid twins where the doe cannot suckle both young...normally because she is in less than 100% condition..however I would question the wisdom of dealing with a carcasse of unknown pathology just in case there were early TB changes without clinical signs...just my view, not being critical,Anton

Quote Originally Posted by ytene View Post
    I would question the wisdom of dealing with a carcasse of unknown pathology just in case there were early TB changes without clinical signs...just my view, not being critical,Anton
    TB not an issue in one so young. In endemic TB areas they don't test calves <6 weeks old.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    This fawn looked to be a week or two old from the look of things.

Lakey
    Isn't that pretty late for roe fawns to be born? I know it varies from area to area. Maybe the doe was not in good condition and couldn't rear it, or maybe she mated late.
    I posted photos of a fawn taken on 22nd of May that I thought was a few days old and I think others had seen youngsters earlier than that! Interesting though, the spread of births
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    TB not an issue in one so young. In endemic TB areas they don't test calves <6 weeks old.
    Bovine TB can be transmitted in placenta, although the fawn may or may not be a reactor if tested before 6 weeks....