Thread: my first deer with dawn till dusk

my first deer with dawn till dusk

had a kind invite from dd, to take me stalking for my first deer.After a sleepless few hours i met up with dd, and we went off to his stalking grounds. We drove around the estate with dd scanning the fields, and decided to stalk an area of pasture land.We had only been walking for a few minutes when dd said drop, and in front of us was a roedoe standing by a hedge. By this time i was really nervous, never being as close to a deer as this. The roedoe jumped the fence and was gone so we started walking again, and dd spotted a fox so he set my sticks up and i trained the rifle on the fox. At the very last moment the fox moved off into the hedge, and i thought i need more practice shooting off sticks lol. We continued to walk but found there was still a lot off cover, but as we walked down a track dd saw a munty dive into a hedge, he told me to get one side of the track and the munty might come out. By this time i was really nervous, so i set rifle up on sticks and the munty just walked out and headed fo the bushes, on the other side of the track. I pulled the trigger and dd was off like a whippet, into the bushes and i really thought i had missed the munty, but a few seconds later dd emerged with it shook my hand and said well done. DD showed me how to dress the munty, and also explained about what to look for in a healthy deer; and answered 100s of my questions i kept throwing at him. they say your first deer is always the most magical and i have been wandering about for hours on a high. I really have to thank dusk till dawn for taking the time to take me out, and he is a real credit to this forum and i am now a stalker for life

nice one tony ,glad you got a shot mate

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    nice one tony ,glad you got a shot mate
    also big thanks to you mate for spending time with me too

first deer

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    had a kind invite from dd, to take me stalking for my first deer.After a sleepless few hours i met up with dd, and we went off to his stalking grounds. We drove around the estate with dd scanning the fields, and decided to stalk an area of pasture land.We had only been walking for a few minutes when dd said drop, and in front of us was a roedoe standing by a hedge. By this time i was really nervous, never being as close to a deer as this. The roedoe jumped the fence and was gone so we started walking again, and dd spotted a fox so he set my sticks up and i trained the rifle on the fox. At the very last moment the fox moved off into the hedge, and i thought i need more practice shooting off sticks lol. We continued to walk but found there was still a lot off cover, but as we walked down a track dd saw a munty dive into a hedge, he told me to get one side of the track and the munty might come out. By this time i was really nervous, so i set rifle up on sticks and the munty just walked out and headed fo the bushes, on the other side of the track. I pulled the trigger and dd was off like a whippet, into the bushes and i really thought i had missed the munty, but a few seconds later dd emerged with it shook my hand and said well done. DD showed me how to dress the munty, and also explained about what to look for in a healthy deer; and answered 100s of my questions i kept throwing at him. they say your first deer is always the most magical and i have been wandering about for hours on a high. I really have to thank dusk till dawn for taking the time to take me out, and he is a real credit to this forum and i am now a stalker for life
    Hi Biker
    I am glad you had a good time, and Thanks for the comments, I was out again this Morn and see 4 very large Roe Bucks keep looking on here and i shall post some pictures of the one I shot, it might be a bronze medal ?
    Regards
    Paul

Very well done Biker1 for your first deer. Am sure it will be the first of many!!

Timney

thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Timney View Post
    Very well done Biker1 for your first deer. Am sure it will be the first of many!!

Timney
    thanks for that timney, i think dawn till dusk needs a medal for putting up with me lol

Well done both of you, with stalking usually such a solitary activity it's great to read a write-up like this. It's what the site is all about!

all the best,

Alex

Congrats. on your first successful stalk biker1. It's something that you'll never forget! Now you're hooked-sure enough, I bet the bike soon starts gathering dust!
    Cheers, Pete.

That's brilliant well done Biker. D2D is a but of a hero helping others and he did it for me earlier this year with my first go at some cracking muntjac stalking. I can't wait to get him up my way for a go. He's like Jim'l fix it! Well done you both and keep at it Biker