Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pro hunter with mac stocks

pro hunter with mac stocks

i see sportsmans are selling pro hunters with mcmillan stocks now ! has steyr done this or sportsmans ,are they now saying there is a problem with the old stocks as i have 2 pro,s would like a stock for them but the mac is a little pricey

What leads you to think there is a problem with the Steyr stocks?
    May just be that Steyr has clocked that people would like to trick the rifles out a bit.
    Lot's of manufacturers sell their rifle with uprated stocks, Rem, Savage etc. Wouldn't think it's sinister...

The problems with the Mark 1 synthetic stocks with reference to the flexibility of the for end when used with a Bi-pod is well documented on here, and other sites, the mark 2 is supposed to be marginally better.

ATB

Tahr

I talked to staff in The Sportsman some time ago and it came up in conversation that a Mark 3 synthetic stock was coming out. I joked "is that why you have a special offer on Steyr rifles then?" I didn't get a response.
    Now I don't know if the Mark 3 is actually a Macmillan stock or if another Steyr stock is being produced but it does suggest to me that the company isn't entirely happy with the mark 2 stock.

Nice rifle but does not shoot worth a damn with the harris on. However as one expert put it a lot is down to the way you handle it. You cannot be too heavy handed with it. Deer are not getting back up. Jim

you can't polish a turd! (but you can sprinkle glitter on it)....

where can you buy one of these mac stocks?? any idea how much?

try jackson rifles. A vanilla mcmillan is about 400-600 depending on the inletting.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    try jackson rifles. A vanilla mcmillan is about 400-600 depending on the inletting.
    i'll have 2 at that price then bargain

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    i see sportsmans are selling pro hunters with mcmillan stocks now ! has steyr done this or sportsmans ,are they now saying there is a problem with the old stocks as i have 2 pro,s would like a stock for them but the mac is a little pricey
    A couple of years ago I talked to the Sportsman and a Mcmillan stock was an (expensive) option then. I liked the Pro-Hunter in 260 Rem and in my opinion it's a good 'out of the box' rifle. However there are no cheap or easy upgrade options. If you get the Mcmillan stock, you then have rifle that is very expensive to rebarrel due to the complex lug arrangements. I eventually decided to part with my Pro-Hunter and moved on to the Remington in my gallery. I now have a rifle that is easier to tweak.

Regards JCS