Favoured weight for .270?

SC243

I'm in the process of getting a .270 to sit along side my .243 and I'm just wondering what peoples favoured bullet weights are and why?

Any info gratefully received.

Cheers.

130 gr, does roe and red nicely. I stick to soft nose, which I prefer over plastic tips.

Thats my two peneth.

I would like to add, I am considering 150grn, but would like to hear about others experiences first.

Wills

130gr Norma is my bullet of choice for the .270 .. Excellent.

I experimented with 150gr Norma many years ago and did not have a good time with them, perhaps they just did not suit my rifle at the time.

Norma 130 gr soft point for me also.:thumb: Roe,Reds and even the hardy Sika don't go anywhere with one of these onboard. Same as GC my old Browning doesn't like the 150 gr load either. No grouping with these at all.
GAZ

My Sako 85 seems to shoot most stuff well. I favour 130gn RWS H-Mantle for everything from Muntjac to Red. Muntjac take a bit of a hammering if you catch the shoulder though! I tried some 150gn RWS KS or Cone points and they shot well, especially good with the bigger animals. Tried 150gn Privi Partisan to see if it would be good cheap range fodder and it shot as well as the other stuff. Stocked up on 100 of the 130gn and it wouldn't group under 3 inches! I've heard that it's inconsistent at the best of times though. Winchester 130gn Powerpoints shoot very well through mine. Had the rifle out on a range once and shot those at 600 yards, they kept inside of a 8 inch circle when the wind wasn't dragging them off somewhere. Used some 100gn Norma for park culling Fallow and they were superb for the job, but you would destroy anything you shot in the chest with it! Haven't used it for foxing, but they would be ideal for it. 130gn Normas are also excellent, and you get decent brass for reloading if you're into that kind of thing. Rifles vary though, so it would be worth sampling several different brands to see what suits your musket.

I'm with the others here - 130gr would appear to be the 'standard' round. Am currently using some 150gr Feds that work very nicely indeed and also some 90gr for charlie as 130gr does make a little bit of a mess........

If you're running it in conjunction with a 243, then I guess you may want to err toward the heavier end of the scale or you are on cross over in use? As other posters have said, try various types in the 130/140/150 range and see what suits your rifle best. I'm fortunate that mine doesn't appear to be too fussy.

HTH

E t R

i use 130gn sierra gamekings in mine with exelent results , but at the moment im trying out some 140gn barnes tsx and im quite pleased with them .:D

but sadly i cant seem to get the 150's to group :-|

130 grain seems to be the favoured weight! Is it that the heavier bullet weights are less accurate? I know that often with the .243 it is advised to use bullet weights less than 100 grains as the heavier bullet does not stabalise as well as lighter ones. Is it the same with the .270 once you go to 150 grain?

never had a problem with 150's with accuracy, but there is no point in my opinion.
well placed 130 is perfect.

:lol: Well blow me down must be the odd one out as I used 140 grain in Handloads normally and my last outings were using some Federal Fusion 150 grain factory ammo.

130gr does the job nicely, been trying Norma 110gr rounds lately. Jury is stillout on this one
Al

150g every time for me in .270 and .308, big heavy and slow and you can eat right up to the hole, having said that a pal of mine wont use anything else but sierra gamekings in 130!
And if you fancy the extreme a 90gr speer TNT through the 270 is amazing on foxes!

So there's no worry of going up to 150 grains, assuming the rifle likes them. The 130 is obviously the most popular, I might split the difference and go for 140's!!!

So there's no worry of going up to 150 grains, assuming the rifle likes them. The 130 is obviously the most popular, I might split the difference and go for 140's!!!

Absolutely Scotty - another benefit of having a 270. I'm about to try a batch of 140's - stay in touch and we can compare notes.

E t R

Back