Thread: using 165 gr sst heads in 30.06

using 165 gr sst heads in 30.06

Hello all, has anyone experience of using sst's for deer stalking and what is the extent of the meat damage with them?All advice welcome.

I have used the SSTs the Interlocks, and Nosler Balistic Tips in both a 30-06 and a 308. The SSTs shoot fairly well and perform well at impact speeds under 2600fps or so. In 'polytips' I prefer the 165BTs because they shoot more accurately in my guns. The BTs may be marginaly tougher, but I'm not sure. When I wanted a tougher Cup&Core I chose the Interlock and found it more accurate than the SSTs in my rifles. capt david

Hello Captdavid, thanks for the information, how much meat damage did the sst's cause compared to soft point?

I would not worry about the meat damage but be more concerned about the runners you get, that was the main reason why I hav stopped using them
    don't get me wrong they were deadly accurate producing one holed groups, but I found them a waste of space on live quarry
    from foxes to red stags... chest shooting was not the way forward
    decent soft point every time

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    I would not worry about the meat damage but be more concerned about the runners you get, that was the main reason why I hav stopped using them
    don't get me wrong they were deadly accurate producing one holed groups, but I found them a waste of space on live quarry
    from foxes to red stags... chest shooting was not the way forward
    decent soft point every time
    Hello Stone, from what you say they are similar to Federal fusion which I have stopped using because imo they do not give a clean kill even with neck shots at 100 yds

I think the 150/165 SST's are just the opposite to fusions.
    The SST's expand rapidly, often loose all their lead out of the cup, especially when hitting bone.
    They would be fairly good for smaller game when you need expansion before it gets out the other side, or
    when the bullet speed is relatively low. I have neck shot deer with them and they worked well. Maybe not the best
    bullet to go through heavy bone, slight chance of bouncing off a shoulder if the angle is wrong.
    edi

That's a little subjective, and I don't know exacyally how to explain it. But I would say it's noticable, but not greatly so. Our whitetail deer does and young bucks, where I hunt, live weigh around 100lbs. I would say that there is about 10-15% more damage with the SSTs, but again that is highly subjective. I base this only on 4-5 kills with the SSTs and a few more using the sps in .308 cal, but find it the same in 139, 7mm. At 308/30-06 velocities I would say that the 165 Interlock is the perfect all round cup&core bullet, but wouldent hesitate to use the SSTs if they shot better in my gun. capt david

using 165 sst heads in 3006

Thank you all for your input. Will give them a try and let you know how I get on when our season begins which will not be until Sept. The wait is nail biting stuff.Pity the poor bunnies & foxes in the meantime.