Was out for a nice PM stalk after the torrential rains on Saturday, at around 16:00 it became a nice sunny evening so I though,,maybe a chance of a buck?..

Stalking around one of my usual routes, I spotted a total of 11 hares in 45 minutes, at least 100 rabbits, two does both with two healthy fawns each (which I was greatly pleased to see!), and wait for it,,,4 foxes...

One older fox spotted me at only 10yds, and despite of me backing off and trying the fox call, nothing re-appeared (smarty-pants LOL). Then at around 400yds into a field I saw another (that's when I wish I had some ballistic turrets on my stalking rifle).. but coming through a gate I saw two big cubs dining away on a rabbit, only 25 yds away. They clocked me instantly and took off. One stoppen broadside at around 40-50 yds out...cross hairs on the chest off the twin sticks, and BANG!...the chap jumped about a yard and a half vertically before disappearing into the weens....WTF I thought,,,I did NOT miss,,,1000% sure that would have been a MOA adhering shot... Then looking at the proposed kill zone, I could see some 18" ish thin grass that would have been in front of the fox, but my scope probably wouldn't have shown,,,I'm guessing my 87g BTHP hit this grass, then got 'dragged down' within a foot of the target, so it exploded right under the stomach of the fox - hence the massive jump.

I then started reflecting on the conversations on here where we discuss the use of larger calibers with Soft Points for summer stalking,,and how it may have its merits,, and whether in this instance, my old factory 100g SP Norma's would have just dug right through that thin grass and nailed the fox?..suss...

Anyway, it was a lovely early evening, and I saw more game than I have for a while,..must've been the rains clearing...now I know I have quite a bit of varminting to do as well!!!