.308 and SMK's

User00003

I've read of great success with both 168 and 175g SMK's in the .308 with Varget propellant, for both hunting and target shooting. (Edit...I am aware in the UK we would not use the SMK for hunting)...

Does anyone know from experience which twist either would favour, 1:10 or 1:12?

also, what are the forum members other preferred hunting bullets for the .308?

Last edited:
Just to clarify, SMK - Sierra Match King. You're not suggesting their use for stalking are you?

HI PKL,

SMK's are great for target shooting but wouldn' recomend that you use them as a hunting bullet. They do have a hollow point but they don't expand in the same way as the game king would. Varget does work well in .308. Load wise I use 155 scenar's (because I can't get my hands on any SMK) over 46 grains of Varget for target shooting but would recommend that you work your own load up as my load may not be suitable for your rifle.

I've used 150 grn Gamekings and they do work.

Jase.

Hey,

No of course, you're right, but I was thinking you could use the equivalent GameKings instead, with the same loads (or very close to)..

I know in the US the SMK's have been used for hunting, but clearly in the UK we'd opt for the GameKing variety..:D

Gamekings are good cerainly does put them down although I do think they have to be driven fast...

Anyone used GK's on red stags for .308 or can recommend a great alternative in 150 to 180g class?

I'm toying with the idea of trying some interbonds or accubonds, but am afraid that even on the stags they'll not expand sufficiently to put the animal down without getting some distance between him and I - and I REALLY like to see the beast drop there and then,,,I'm not a fan of having to go find the beast, even though I know at times they'll run even with the most perfect bullet placement.

That's one of the reasons I like my BTHP's for roe, it's like they're hit by a train, but exit wounds are not too big,,I think the temporary cavity is huge in my H'dy 87 BTHP's without leaving too much of a mess.

Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip (Hunting) - driven at sensible speeds circa 2700fps. I've used them for over 20 years in .308 and they perform very well with acceptable carcase damage on everything from our largest Westcountry Red Stags down to Muntjac.

Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip (Hunting) - driven at sensible speeds circa 2700fps. I've used them for over 20 years in .308 and they perform very well with acceptable carcase damage on everything from our largest Westcountry Red Stags down to Muntjac.

H/L shots or Neck?

Back