Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lothian and Borders

Thumbs up Lothian and Borders

I have been very fortunate to have L&B reviewing and approving my FAC; although I had stalked using an estate rifle a few times and had a day booked the FAO still wanted to see permission granted over a suitable piece of land - which I was fortunate enough to be able to provide.
    I was suprised at the ammo limit in .243 being 50 to buy and 80 to hold - are other regions going this low?

Top marke L&B, helpful staff on the end of the phone and a quick turnaround once I had got all my bits in.

Just a thought....where do you buy 50 rounds as ammo is in boxes of 20 and if reloading they are in boxes of 100

Congratulations on obtaining your cert, but I don't see how you can give them top marks when they refused to grant an FAC on the strength of booked outings - a lawful and HO advised route to obtaining a certificate. But maybe they haven't read the HO Guidance because your paltry and bizarre ammo holding is way below the advised minimum quantities of possess 250 and acquire 200 for deer stalkers, (chapter 13.28) . How would someone fare in L&B if they couldn't provide their own land?

I have only ever found L&B a pleasure to deal with, for both SGC and FAC. I was originally asked to document land permissions to obtain my FAC, but I thought that was quite reasonable to be honest. The alternative was to prove a few booked outings for the coming season.

My ammo purchase and holding was set at only 40 rounds based on the anticipated usage, but the FLO did say that i was more than welcome to re-request a higher amount if I was going through 40 rounds pretty quickly - they would be able to see that on the FAC records of course as the RFD enters ammo purchased.

I sent in a request later, saying that I would like to re-load, but still have some factory ammo in stock, so batches of 100 would be required, plus some factory ammo. with that argument, they increased my allowance to 150 to buy and hold.

I thought it was fair game, and to be honest, if you need more that 40, then just prove it to them by using it pretty quickly for a couple of weeks/months, via your buying habits. they'll be happy to increase your allowance.

Is that the same L&B police force that will not allow any one with a combination gun (.308x12bore etc ) to hold soild slugs for it's use as they say that no one has slugs for hunting in L&B and no one will.
    They took the authorized to acqiure and to posses off a lad i know with out telling him, even though they knew that he had 20 slug rounds in his safe when they did his renewal.

bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

How can you possibly compliment Lothian & Borders when they are so silly as to issue such a ridiculously low ammunition holding. They obviously live in a different world to the rest of us and it makes you wonder about their competence to deal with firearms applications. The ammo holding is hardly enough to zero the rifle and a little bit of practise before venturing out into the field, and as for reloading normally only the larger calibre bullets are sold in 50’s most are sold in boxes of 100 or greater.

If that's a force that it's a pleasure to deal with, then I think I'll take my chances elsewhere thank you! What a waste of public money having to keep re-processing variations for additional quantities of ammo, when they could have just accepted the HO Guidance and used the quantities that most right thinking FLDs use. Start reloading for hunting use and you can normally expect the holdings to double to 600/500. Sounds as if there's a fair amount of control-freakery going on in that department.

Ok, I just have never had any issues with them that's all...would I have preferred ammo holding entitlements of 500, yes, but was it a problem for me, no. Had it been a problem I would have voiced my opinion with them in a constructive argument, and I'm sure they would have accomodated.

At least they let me use .22LR for fox if I want, and turn variations around in a week or two,,which is not bad.

8x,,maybe there were reasons you are not aware of for not renewing? sure, they should have picked up residual slugs or have demanded they were handed in at RFD for destruction - true.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    How can you possibly compliment Lothian & Borders when they are so silly as to issue such a ridiculously low ammunition holding. They obviously live in a different world to the rest of us and it makes you wonder about their competence to deal with firearms applications. The ammo holding is hardly enough to zero the rifle and a little bit of practise before venturing out into the field, and as for reloading normally only the larger calibre bullets are sold in 50’s most are sold in boxes of 100 or greater.
    I don't know how many rounds you need to zero, but I need less than 10! If you're reloading, they're happy to allow 100+ entitlements, but you have to tell them.

Three rounds is usually enough for me if I have bore sighted the rifle correctly and all goes well, but if it is a new rifle I would want to get some practise in before venturing afield. That would be pretty difficult if I were limited to forty rounds wouldn't it, and as I only ever use reloaded ammunition I would find it difficult to find a dealer that will break a box open for me.

Why don't they follow guidance and issue for 250?