Trail camera with mms

Double four

Please can anyone help ? i would like to set two trail cams up in differing locations ie to text for intruder detection as its primary role photos secondary.

It would be a great help if anyone is currently using the mms feature, and could reccomend a model or could run me through the workings of how to set them up in this UK . thanks in advance DF

Df you do know that you are brakeing the law unless you ask them for permission to put a camera up to watch for people.

tresspassers shot on first sight then where practicle questioned after ! does that mean shot with a trail camera :D worked for the duke of gumby's keeper in 1868

There are no laws stopping any one from taking photos of anyone in the UK. Look at the amount of Town Center CCTV's we have, all garages, most shops and Pubs have them.

You are allowed to watch and record people on your own property or land, if you have a camera in a public area you must have signs up saying CCTV recording in this area or something along those lines.

No where does it state in any legislation that signs need to be displayed if you are photographing people, in public or otherwise.

This is off one of the CCTV law and data protection website

Data Protection Act legislation is at the very core of protecting our Human Rights when it comes to the use of CCTV, so are we safe to assume we are protected from its misuse? The law is certainly adequate and has been since the 1998 Data Protection Act encompassed CCTV images. The Information Commissioner is responsible for enforcement and serious cases of non compliance can result in a substantial fine or even a custodial sentence.
You must let people know that they are in an area where CCTV surveillance is being carried out. The most effective way of doing this is by prominently placed signs at the entrance to the CCTV zone and reinforcing this with further signs inside the area. The signs should contain details of the organisation responsible for operating the system, the purposes for using CCTV and contact details.

MUNTY1 This was just a post from me to say watch out as stated in the first post the Camera was getting put up to catch people as a first and nature as a second. There are laws that stop us taking pictures of people against the wishes and the laws are even stronger if that person is under 16 .

Folks, trust me there are no laws preventing you photograph people in public (the BBC and the like do it all the time), the data protection act relates to what you do with data. Re photographing children, the only act that any Police Officer would use is 'the Chldrens and young persons Act 1933' this has been amended in previous years. Once again it is the usage that would concern anyone. Althouh not unlawful something I would strongly advise against unless you have good reason.

Last edited:
Folks, trust me there are no laws preventing you photograph people in public (the BBC and the like do it all the time), the data protection act relates to what you do with data. Re photographing children, the only act that any Police Officer would use is 'the Chldrens and young persons Act 1933' this has been amended in previous years. Once again it is the usage that would concern anyone. Althouh not unlawful something I would strongly advise against unless you have good reason.

You sound the most sane of the two versions so ill believe you.

Uncle Buck - that's a good link to a US site! I'm pretty sure their law is a tad different to ours. :) Having said that, Munty1 is right, in the UK there is no general protection from being photographed in any public place. As noted use of CCTV is covered by Data Protection Act and also the SIA. Monitors and observers of CCTV in a public space must be appropriately licensed. Public Space Surveillance (CCTV)

None of which is any use at all in answering the OP. :(

Well spotted bandit! But I rekon Mr Hudson has photographed worldwide he'll know his stuff!!

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
How is it anti hunt "monitors" can film foot followers against their will and post the videos on you tube ?

Hi Double Four,

I have an Ltl Acorn 5210MM which I bought off eBay for around £190 delivered, this is the only game camera I've owned so I can't give you any real details about what to look out for but I would advise you have a read on this website as they have done extensive reviews of most of the game cameras on the market.

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=1

The MMS function is very simple to set up, you can do it on the camera unit itself of via a piece of software which saves the setup onto your SD card and is transferred to the camera when you insert the card and turn it on.

The one thing which you should be aware of, is that if the signal is weak in the area where you have the camera you may not receive the MMS picture or it may come hours later, I have been experiencing this recently in some of my terrain where the signal is very weak. The pictures will however be stored on the memory card, even though they weren't sent to your phone.

Hope this helps!

Please can anyone help ? i would like to set two trail cams up in differing locations ie to text for intruder detection as its primary role photos secondary.

It would be a great help if anyone is currently using the mms feature, and could reccomend a model or could run me through the workings of how to set them up in this UK . thanks in advance DF

I can see that a camera with MMS might be of use in a yard or around buildings, but surely if you put it out in a wood and it texts you every time a fox or badger walks by or a bird flies past or a gust of warm air sets it off it will cost you a fortune.

Back