.308 and 125gr bullets.

Boarboy

Does anyone have any experience of loading the 125 gr BTs or similar in 308. I currently load the 150 gr BT with around 45gr varget for good results but am looking to create an even softer shooting round mainly for fallow. I thought driving the bullet at around 2800 would be good?? I have tried the 123gr sako factory rounds and found them very destructive. They were going at around 3000 fps, so I guess slowing down a 125 would be a good option in both of mild shooting and less meat damage??

Thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

I have just tried reloading 125 gr Nosler BT but my RCBS die was marking the head. Contacted RCBS and they were very helpful and said it was due to the head being long and thin.

When I compared it to a Speer head they are quite a bit thinner. RCBS said they would make a plug for my die to fit the Nosler head but not sure I can be bothered sending off to the States etc.

Gone back to reloading the 150gn but would like to try the 125gn what die set are you using?

ATB
Les

With the 125grn BT in 308, you either swear by it, or swear at it! I found them very destructive, but on the up-side, they were rediculously accurate. I was driving mine a shade under 3000fps with a 49grn charge of N140. I stopped using them precisely because of how much damage they were doing to the roe I shot. Funnily enough, I found them to be less destructive on muntjac.

I download the Nosler 150g BT and found they are brilliant on small game with little damage. Grass, wind etc. does worry the heavier heads, and the larger heads are designed for tougher game so less damage on smaller stuff.
Problem with the lighter .30cal heads is that they are designed to expand on lighter game hence damage.
41grains of N140 give me just short of 2500 and you can eat right up to the hole they make on both sides, shot roe and fallow and they dont get up.
If you do want to press on with the 125gBT 37grs of N130 will give you 2600 ish depending on barrel length, I started at this and worked up but in my rifle they didnt come on line until around 2900 so that defeated the object.

I have used them loaded over 47gr Varget if my memory serves me correct (please start low and work up)
Running over 3000fps = big carcass damage its a ballistic tip bullet when all said and done .

Have past the fast and furious stage and now in my slow and heavy phase .

Last edited:
hi
i load speer 110gn rnsp over n130 giving 3100fps a very soft load and very effective ! the same load is used by a friend in scotland on roe and also a friend in devon who has shot roe and a 300lb rutting red stag all except the stag have gone straight down on the spot and the stag went about 15yds then down ! i have a feeling that john robbo may have started my scottish friend using this load a few years back with a different powder ! its a bit of a loopy trajectory over long range but great at normal stalking ranges and does not do a great amount of damage to meat ! certainly worth a try!

Ive still loads of 150gr bullets, So may start downloading those for starters. i read somewhere that you may need to crimp the 125's due to bullet length being shorter. IS this true? WHat else is out there in the 125/130 mark that will hold together better than a ballistic tip??

Try the Hornady 130 gr Spire Point.. I have found them to be superb in both the .308 and the 30-30 bolt action.

Ive still loads of 150gr bullets, So may start downloading those for starters. i read somewhere that you may need to crimp the 125's due to bullet length being shorter. IS this true? WHat else is out there in the 125/130 mark that will hold together better than a ballistic tip??

Barnes TSX/TTSX? That won't fall apart, not everyone's cup of tea though.

I use 125 nosler bts with 44 grains of aa 2520 . Very accurate and drops em quickly. Sometimes I get a fair bit of bruising othertimes very minimal damage.

Atb Steve

I used 125GN Noslers in my SHR 970 in 308 over Varget and never had a red deer run far, very accurate and if zeroed @ 200m was lethal at deer stalking ranges and I never neede to aim off. Bit of damage i can take rather than a long night finding a deer. Aint nothing worse than a deer that takes for cover after you plugged it, makes us all second guess our abilities and ruins your confidence, put them down time and time again and the world is a different place, thinking back I took some long shots with that load and I would recommend for accuracy and stopping power, but you are pushing them fast (3000fps) so expect some melted venison.

I still have some (25 or so) but have to say cost put me off buying more and workikng up another load. So 150gn Speer SP and SST's for now or norma BT factory fodder.

Back