Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Rem700 bolt handle

  1. #1

    Question Rem700 bolt handle

    Hi anyone know where i can get my rem700 bolt handle changed and the bolt body fluted??

    Cheers
    Daz

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    Hi anyone know where i can get my rem700 bolt handle changed and the bolt body fluted??

    Cheers
    Daz
    Hi try taylor off here i know he can do the bolt handle but flutting im unsure of hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Thanks for the info mate,

    Cheers
    Daz

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Sniper View Post
    Thanks for the info mate,

    Cheers
    Daz
    At the risk of being jumped on:- ........................................

    May I ask why not just a decent action in the first place rather than muck about with what is after all just bits of tubing brazed together?

    There are after market fluted bolt bodies available from places like PTG (Pacific Tool and Gauge):-

    http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/p.../remington.htm

    They make one with integral bolt handle too and with the Sako style extractor to correct another Remington flaw.

    Of course as it's a pressure bearing componant a variation would be required.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    At the risk of being jumped on:- ........................................

    May I ask why not just a decent action in the first place rather than muck about with what is after all just bits of tubing brazed together?

    There are after market fluted bolt bodies available from places like PTG (Pacific Tool and Gauge):-

    http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/p.../remington.htm

    They make one with integral bolt handle too and with the Sako style extractor to correct another Remington flaw.

    Of course as it's a pressure bearing componant a variation would be required.
    I'm planning to go down this route, however it's not cheap. I contacted them and as I understand it, due to export licence pain, they're selling via Midway USA/UK - all fine except a $200 bolt turns into a 330 item. Also, the picture on the website seems to suggest that it doesn't come with the extractor or ejector or bolt knob AND Midway don't sell them! (Though PT&G will happily supply these direct)

    You then need to have it fitted: the lugs are ground long so that the timing can be adjusted even with a bit of material removed from lug bearing surfaces in the action when trued... It doesn't stop there because the headspace will need to be checked/adjusted, besides which the mini-M16 extractor it comes with needs more clearance so the recess in the barrel needs to be opened out to .785" (else the extractor can't clip over the case rim).

    On the other hand having you existing bolt fluted and threaded for a knob seems like a much simpler and cheaper job, as long as you happen to have a 4 axis CNC mill handy!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    On the other hand having you existing bolt fluted and threaded for a knob seems like a much simpler and cheaper job, as long as you happen to have a 4 axis CNC mill handy!
    Thats the easy bit get yourself another bolt handle already threaded from midway uk with a new bolt knob and get the handle braised/solder onto your bolt body cost me about 40 in bits.

    As for fluting then maybe Steve Kershaw can help, or even maybe a drop in action that he has produced may solve all your problems.

    Thanks

    Leon

  7. #7
    Fluting, takes a miniscule of weight of but what else except it looks pretty. Dave at Valkerie rifles also does the bolt knobs for approx 75.00 fitted.

  8. #8
    Mat,

    I mentioned PTG as I happened to know they offered them. Noticed it when looking through their site last year for a reamer and head space gauges and for no other reason. There are no doubt others that offer them as after all the Rem 700 is the Vx Corsa of the rifle world. Everybody and their mother makes bits to bolt on them .

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Mat,

    I mentioned PTG as I happened to know they offered them. Noticed it when looking through their site last year for a reamer and head space gauges and for no other reason. There are no doubt others that offer them as after all the Rem 700 is the Vx Corsa of the rifle world. Everybody and their mother makes bits to bolt on them .
    Don't get me wrong, I do happen to agree with you, just pointing out that it's not a cheap option given the Midway markup

  10. #10
    Not sure what their mark up is I had to get the reamer from Midway in the end as PTG didn't have a .280AI on the shelf but Midway did and yes a PTG one at that. The reamer was a similar price, not that much different to getting it direct, so perhaps their marks ups vary on what they are selling???

Similar Threads

  1. Lightforce 140 handle thread size
    By martinl in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-07-2011, 10:18
  2. For Sale rem700 weaver rail
    By DazT in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-05-2011, 13:59
  3. *SOLD* Custom 6.5x47 lapua Rem700
    By dennisgrm in forum Firearms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 10:07
  4. Welding my mauser bolt handle
    By harrygrey382 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 22-12-2010, 07:55
  5. Hella roof lamp with new design handle
    By Dan Gliballs in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 18:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •