Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Sound Moderator and why?

Which Sound Moderator and why?

I'm considering which Moderator to buy for a .223 (heavy barrelled CZ 527). I will use the moderated rifle weekly for foxing late at night so it needs to be quiet. I have been advised that a Reflex T4 is good for .223 - can anyone confirm this?

I may wish to swap the moderator onto a .243 or .308 as well as the .223. Does anyone interchange between these calibres while retaining the effectiveness of the moderator on each?

I'm not fussed about one brand or the other; my requirements are:

- effective: it reduces the noise of the shot to unmoderated .22LR level
    - doesn't intrude into the scope sight picture therefore slim
    - coloured black
    - good quality, so won't rust or need to be replaced after a year
    - costs in the region of 200 - 250
    - ideally interchanges between .223, .243, .308
    - should allow for consistent shot placement i.e. doesn't throw the odd shot
    - doesn't extend the barrel length more than 5-6 inches and is not too heavy (500-600 gms max)

Not to ask for I don't think. Can anyone recommend the righ tool for the above?

Thanks,

Armo.

Armo,

If it is any use to you I use the same Reflex T8 on .222, .243 and 6.5X55, all you need is a different bush to fit on the various barrels, They just screw on and off the mod as required.

HTH

John

A tec Jet Z compact. Very good mod. Doesn't sleeve over barrel and is quiet. Look in Sporting Rifle mag about 2 months ago. Myself an and mate both have them. Mine is on my T3 and He has one on his sako heavy barrelled .243.
    Used a lot at night on the foxes .
    A bit more than 250
    group well through it.

AS i said have a look in the mag they tested about 10 mods

Good luck
    Jonathon

A tec Jet Z compact. Very good mod. Doesn't sleeve over barrel and is quiet. Look in Sporting Rifle mag about 2 months ago. Myself and a mate both have them. Mine is on my T3 and He has one on his sako heavy barrelled .243.
    Used a lot at night on the foxes .
    A bit more than 250
    group well through it.

AS i said have a look in the mag they tested about 10 mods

Good luck
    Jonathon

I would look at the A-Tec, it is lighter than the rest and stripable so you can clean it. talk direct to the importers "Jager sporting arms" ask for James for a good price. You can use the one mod on many calibres without loss of performance.

www.jagersportingarms.co.uk

Best rgds

Tahr

i use a .30 t4 on by .308 blaser r93 - got rid of the t8 because it felt too long. i'm having my .243 screwcut (picking it up tomorrow ) so i will be able to tell you more if i can get out this weekend. the t4 on the .308 takes noise and recoil down to comfortable levels.

i used .30 t8 on my prohunter .243, which was fine, although louder than if you used a .24 t8.

i have been considering various options for the .243 - i will use the .30 t4 at first then probably buy something else sometime. i might have the chance of a new predatror 8 this weekend for 50 - came with a keeper friends howa 22-250 but he doesnt want it, just waiting to find out what thread/calibre it is. if i do buy another mod to fill the spare slot, i will get one for the .243 calibre specific to maximise noise reduction.

hope that helps.

There is very little difference in cailbre specific moderators and noise reduction which the human ear can pick up.
    The first and only thing a moderator is designed to do is reduce the impact of possible hearing loss to the shooter. If the noise reduction damaging to hearing is being achieved then the moderator is doing its job. Other aspects of fitting the moderator are additional benefits.

I have used most moderators on the market, some are good and some are ok. When choosing a moderator for most people cost is a factor, which is to be expected, however, there are some worth the little bit extra.
    As has been said here A-TEC and ASE are the main mods out there and are at the higher end of the scale, A-TEC being slightly cheaper. There is a saying of course...you get what you pay for.

the military have been using reflex t's for ages, so that says something for them.
    the only problems with them have been with people not cleaning them, lets see how these new ones fair after a year or two of abuse, there will be just as many of them knackered l bet through lack of care.

The T8 was a good benchmark for moddys in the UK, I would say it has helped with the ever growing selection of mods now available. It is , however, still heavy, it does rot out and for what it is constructed from not worth the money.
    Theres good ones and bad ones it seems as I know a lot of people who have put many rounds down them.

The materials and designs around now are far better but with this in mind the price does obviously increase.

if your reflex does bugger up, then you can exchange it for 60% of the price of a new one, thats nice!!