Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So why shoot foxes?

So why shoot foxes?

The are one of the few predators in this country and by shooting one the population density is decreased slightly.
    They predate rabbits, mice and other pests, not all though, so they do a lot of good for the farmer. And if you shoot all the foxes you then have to shoot the rabbits.
    On the other hand they predate livestock and can be constant menace on the farm.

I shoot on two farms, both are mixed dairy and arable. One farmer said to me, "Don't shoot all my foxes," and the other said, "Shoot the lot." as he had foxes attacking half born calves at the rear of cows.
    One argument is that poor husbandry is the reason for losses, but you can't do it all.

So do folk shoot all on sight or only some if there are too many?

I shoot one if I see more than one together on one farm, and shoot all I see on the other.
    I am ambivalent about this as they do good as predators but they can be a nuisance.

I am aware that there are quite a few keepers and people on game shoots keen to protect their investment.

Not trying to provoke an argument but more interested in peoples' insights regarding keeping a balance in the countryside.

I tend to shoot them on sight. They are a major predator of roe kids, as well as game & ground nesting birds. I've also lost about 6 bantams to a vixen during daylight hours in recent weeks.

All game shoots here.
    I have 15 permissions at preasant, all but 1 want the foxes shot on sight (ALL OF EM) and the other 1 said shoot if you must?? (I tend not to as his brother hunts and no game shoot).
    I personally would shoot the last 1 given chance I would save loads of time then and have more time to shoot all the rabbits that would be running around.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    All game shoots here.
    I have 15 permissions at preasant.
    mate,,you've got pheasants on your mind...poults coming at the mo by any chance?

A new born set of cubs and its mother will eat more than a ton of food before the vixen sets them free and i don't want my ground game to be part of that ton. Stupid question for a stalking forum as the newborn fatalities due to foxes is well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    A new born set of cubs and its mother will eat more than a ton of food before the vixen sets them free and i don't want my ground game to be part of that ton. Stupid question for a stalking forum as the newborn fatalities due to foxes is well documented.
    there's no such thing as a stupid question,,,only a stupid guy asking a question..LOL - just joking around.

You will never shoot the last fox. Do not worry on that front.
    Facemiester

I shoot them because it's a must. They are opportunists so will kill anything they can whether it's in the interests of the farmer or not. A few lambs are worth a fair bit of money. I like having extra rabbits too...

When, I see them. I'm with Moonraker, lost seven hens and a turkey to a daylight raid recently. poultry all shut in at night, but a fox still tried digging its way in. Saw paws for the next couple of days, as wire is dug into the ground around the pen.

Shoot on sight, they prey heavily on new born Roe kids, ground nesting birds, game birds in release pens, poultry and lambs, found 17 lambs at one earth thats what was visible.

Plenty places where they are not controlled and overspill will filter in to areas where they have been removed, even without the additional help of the green brigade![ nature hates a vacuum]

All we a doing is trying to manage the population we will never eradicate foxes, something of which I am glad as though
    they are my sworn enemy's I have a sneaking admiration for them.