Rut Started

HAMMY

I watch the Roe close to my home on ground I have no stalking on, and had an early start for work this morning. On the way in one of the favourite fields close to my house had a Buck chasing hard on a Doe, I watched him for several minutes but didn't witness them mate before they disapeared, and I had to get on my way, he was very keen though, incidently I have not seen this buck for several months, he is a real good beast. I called a couple of mates to see if they have seen any activity and one had witnessed strong activity last night (Moffett area) and another in the last day or two in the Central belt. Looks to be early for my neck of the woods.

May venture out tonight with the Buttalo.

Anything happening elsewhere?

Hammy

Was out this evening saw a load of bucks one of which was chasing the tail. Was him and 2 does. All the others were pretty chilled rested up.

Roe rut

The rut appears to be underway in Inverness-shire. I saw three bucks with does this week - all chasing hard and I saw one this morning that had just covered the doe.

Well i now need to change my mind we have one doe in season for certain and two others that were really interested in a very nice buck. A bit misty this morning so the pictures are not clear.

A WEE VID TOOK THIS MORING SORRY ABOUT QUALITY IT WAS MISTY IN THE VALLEY. THE PICTURE IS OF A WEE BUCK WATCHING WHAT WAS GOING ON BUT HE WAS **** SCARED TO GO AND JOIN IT. LOL

Was think ing of sending this to the minister to show him that there are a few left

Yealingbuck.jpg

Last edited:
Went out last night to call, took the Mrs with me, just a 5 min walk from our cottage, called for about 10 mins when I spied a fox, so I left her and went to stalk into the fox. Did the job nailed him at last!! He's had a few lucky escapes. When I met up with the Mrs 15 min or so later she said she had sh.t herself as "something came crashing through the wood" after I went for the fox. Explained to her that it was likely a buck coming to the call and it wasn't the bogeyman. Gonna try to get out over the next few days. Last year I called my first on the 25th July, 2009 3rd Aug, 2008 8th Aug, so for sure early for our patch.

Hammy

Looks like its started but I hope you are all wrong, in 40 odd years the earliest I have seen it start is the 20th July and usually about a week later than that,not seen any activity in my area yet, my clients don't come till the end of the month
so if it really has started it will be about over by then,one thing is certain if its started early it will finish early an early start won't make it last any longer.

BT I have no idea how long it will last but in 2009 i shot a rutting buck on the 16th of july and that was the earliest i had ever seen it. That one doe in the video was doing all the teasing to toher does out of shot were also playing with the large buck. Two yearling bucks were well back from the scene and i can only assume they had been well chaised that night and day before.
Two boys not allowed to play by the way did i say there were no deer to see haha

roerut2011.jpg

I was out with a friend from Finland yesterday morning we saw a couple of bucks chasing. One was split between two does running back and forth.
I didn't get any reaction from the buck to the call so called the doe and he followed which was his downfall.
Sorry no photos we were out the evening before and shot a Muntjac doe and then out foxing all night and then carried on stalking :eek: I feel very awake today at work:zzz::zzz:

I was out this morning locally and nearly got trampled by a buck as it came up behind me to the butalo, dont know who was more shocked him or me!

Morning,
Up and out by 4am today, 10min to ground. Buck barking as i parked up so let things settle and stalked down to where he was. I got within 140yds and with him standing broadside only had to pull the trigger, bugger all these small trees are in the way !!!, gets the Buttalo out and yes he responds only to circle round to my left and into even thicker cover but he wants to see whats there. To cut a long story short we played cat and mouse for ten minutes no more than 50yds away from each other but luck was on his side and he left without offering a clear shot.

The other bucks in the area all decided to bark and i was surrounded !!. I stalked on and managed to shot a small 4 pointer. The Rut has not started hear yet but its getting close maybe next time.

Dalkur

p.s did i mention the MIDGES AND BLACK FLIES AHHHHHHHHHHHH:evil:

i was out last night and watched a good buck chasing a doe for 15 mins so it looks like they are keen in cumbria

Wednesday night two of us were out and each called in a mature buck but both circles into the wind and neither of us got a shot.

Tried the call the next night on a younger beast, he heard it but did not respond but stalked and got him anyway, so I would say we are just coming into the rut here.

Saw a good buck hot on the heels of a doe last nite, lots of barking going on in the woods. (suffolk)

all quiet here just south of edinburgh, seening odd doe about in my travels but bucks still not showing cant be long now though!

All quiet in Perthshire,

Tried the buttolo on Thursday and an old resident doe came out straight away but nothing with her, or in the area.

Muggy, thundery day here, but perhaps the torrential showers will put them off, I will go out later and see what's going on.....

got 2 bucks on friday but definately no does there at the time. Dont think either responded to the call either. On Holiday for 2 weeks abroad, poor timing to say the least!!

Back