Thread: Magazine feeding problems

Magazine feeding problems

My Tikka M690 is struggling to pick up the second round from the three round magazine.

Closer inspection reveals that the 1st and 3rd cartridges lie in full contact with the mag lips but the 2nd has a tendency to sit nose up so that the bolt barely skims the case head.

I've cleaned and oiled the mag and I'm tempted to try tweaking the lip angles, but would appreciate advice.

Andy

I had a similar experience a few years ago when using a 3 round mag with my Tikka595; turned out that the problem was unique to Federal Fusion, as the various other factory rounds I tried all cycled perfectly. Fusion fed ok from a 5 round mag, however, so it was a bit of a strange one.

As ever, too impatient to wait for advice.

After a little tinkering with pliers and hammer it now feeds fine. I have slightly opened out the angle on the lips over the front two thirds. The front of the lip was acting as a pivot in the centre of the case allowing it to sit nose up or case head up.

If in doubt, give it a clout!

You should now qualify for entry to the wheeltappers & shunters club.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    You should now qualify for entry to the wheeltappers & shunters club.
    I had to look that one up. Well before my time.

"a wheeltapper was employed at large railway stations to check that the wheels on the bogies were sound and that the axle boxes were not hot. By using a long handled wheeltapping hammer he would strike the wheels of the bogie and hear if it ‘rang true’ (a wheel with a crack in it would give off a dull sound), and with the back of his hand he would determine whether the axle box bearing was running hot."
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!