Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so many 8x56 scopes for sale ?

Why so many 8x56 scopes for sale ?

I am relatively new here but cannot help noticing quite a few premium brand 8x56 scopes for sale in the classified section

I don't own one but would love one in the future

Is there something I am missing ?

I thought they are perfect for low light stalking ?

I guess being the most popular scope, there's bound to be a lot of them for sale when they're being replaced with new ones. That may be for better glass, or for ones with red-dots, etc. etc. I'd say the 6x42 and 8x56 must be the best fixed scopes for general stalking.

6mm,

Don't think you are missing anything, 8 x 56 is the tool for the job. I have one on the 25.06 which is now on its third rifle and still going strong.

I tend to agree with the fact the market is quite full of these scopes.
    with more stalkers updating their gear with some of the latest scopes it going to happen. And there are some cracking new models coming onto the market.

I have both 6x42 and 8x56 and find they are all i need at the moment, later i will invest in a more lower powered model when i eventually get around to boar shooting.

I particulary think the 8x56 is a good all round workhorse, but every one will have a favorite scope depending on the stalking they have.

Because most people are 'scope-tarts'!
    We all start with either a fixed power 6x42 or 8x56 because they are generally cheaper. We then begin to wonder what all the fuss is about with the vari-powers and eventually save up and buy one. The advantages are soon realised and the vari-power stays (until a better one is then 'needed' obviously!)
    The poor old fixed power then gets sold - again!
    However, as said, there is nothing wrong with them.
    MS

+1 on MS post. But must add if you can afford it skip the 8X 50 AND GO STRAIGHT TO A VARI.It could save you a lot of cash.

Have to disagree on the vari scopes, unless doing long distance shooting not needed,most folks who own them never change the mag,stick with a good fixed scope, learn to shoot your rifle properly and save the cash.

most folk i have stalked with that have a vari scope normally have it set on 8 anyway ?????????????????//

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Have to disagree on the vari scopes, unless doing long distance shooting not needed,most folks who own them never change the mag,stick with a good fixed scope, learn to shoot your rifle properly and save the cash.
    I change the magnification on my variable all the time! That's why I bought it. Does every application I come across, whether on 6x for woodland close up stuff off the sticks right up to 20-24x for hill stalking or foxing.

Agree with 6pointer, go for the vari and avoid the inevitable loss when you WILL trade in your fixed power.

A variable is, IMO the way to go if you only own one rifle, perhaps not as crucial if you have different rifles and respective scopes for different applications.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I change the magnification on my variable all the time! That's why I bought it. Does every application I come across, whether on 6x for woodland close up stuff off the sticks right up to 20-24x for hill stalking or foxing.

Agree with 6pointer, go for the vari and avoid the inevitable loss when you WILL trade in your fixed power.

A variable is, IMO the way to go if you only own one rifle, perhaps not as crucial if you have different rifles and respective scopes for different applications.
    I had a variable scope first and then swapped to an S&B 8x56 fixed. I found I was mucking around with the dials on the variable way too much before taking the shot. Now I have no option but what I see through the scope - which is exactly the same as I see through my 8x56 binos.

Works for me.