Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaser R8 Recoil Reducer?

Question Blaser R8 Recoil Reducer?

Dear All, Due to an on-going spinal problem I am considering (carefully) what rifle and calibre I ought to use in the future. During a conversation with a well known purveyor of firearms I was told that the Blaser R8 has less percieved recoil than normal turnbolts.

Is this true?

He also told me that Blaser can fit a recoil reducer in the stock of the rifle which would help even more to reduce felt recoil.

Has anyone used them, and if so what do you think of them?

I would have to sell my 6.5x55 Sako 75 finnlight to justify this measure, and I am unsure if it is worth it as the Sako is highly accurate.

Any information on the Blaser R8 would be appreciated, especially about the recoil. I would also like to know how easy they are to clean with all the locking lugs in the barrel?

Thank you in advance, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hello Flytie. I have an R8 in 243 and 308 and I don't think I could say it has less recoil, although a 6.5 x 55 would probably feel 'softer.' The R8 is a lighter rifle and so in my view can't absorb as much recoil as a heavier rifle. My 308 using 150gn at 2850 fps sends the muzzle skyward so I can't see the strike which I don't like, no problem with 243. I have no experience of the recoil reducer but I know they can work on shotguns. I've had no problems with cleaning yet, but have yet to experience it in harsh coditions, although keeping the foxes from the soon to arrive pheasnt poults and some Scottish stalking later in the year should sort that issue. Bubble

Thanks bubble, Kind of you to reply. I wish you luck with the foxes!

Regards, Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Seen sense Simon,hehehe
    You'll manage to clean it no probs,don't know about the recoil for you as I don't have the same probs as you but I don't notice the recoil on mine with the mod and you see the shot connect
    ATB
    PS try shooting a 6.5x47,seem to have less recoil than the 55 and have more speed too for same round,dont know if blaser do the calibre though
    Last edited by Wolverine; 16-07-2011 at 16:52.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Seen sense Simon,hehehe
    You'll manage to clean it no probs,don't know about the recoil for you as I don't have the same probs as you but I don't notice the recoil on mine with the mod and you see the shot connect
    ATB
    Wolverine my friend, you will notice that there is a sense of scepticism in my questions which I need dispelling before I take the plunge and swap sides.

I have just had a quick look at the blaser site after reading Bubbles post, the weight would seem to depend upon which barrel profile you buy. In 6.5 the smaller/lighter profile barrel would make the rifle weigh about 6.6lbs, a mid weight one weighs in at 7.1lbs. So there is not much differnce to my Sako if you purchase the mid-weight one, with the recoil reducer and moderator fitted there should be a reduction in recoil.

I remain to be convinced though

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 16-07-2011 at 16:56. Reason: weights and accuracy

Aye sorry Simon i have a semi-weight barrel,bit heavier as you say
    Now Simon your half way to parting with your cash
    Just remember and ram that bolt home
    Try them out somewhere and see what you think,with the recoil in mind.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Aye sorry Simon i have a semi-weight barrel,bit heavier as you say
    Now Simon your half way to parting with your cash
    Just remember and ram that bolt home
    Try them out somewhere and see what you think,with the recoil in mind.
    Wolverine you'll have me advertising my lovely Sako if I'm not careful I believe the Gloucs gun company have some display models, i might just have to go and try one. It's all right for you to laugh but having both Yorkshire and Scottish blood in me I do have to have a good worry before i buy anything as expensive (and just plain wrong) as a Blaser!

Simon

Simon - It sounds like some one is trying to get between you & your cash! (Blaser = loads o'money!!!!!) Especially if you start getting it modified!
    If you like the Finnlight and it is a good shooter, why change it? You can get a recoil reducer fitted to it just as easily as to a new Blaser. There are various options ranging from a piece of copper pipe filled with lead let into the stock to fancy mercury filled jobbies costing lots!
    Fit a heavy moderator to the front - that will also reduce felt recoil.
    Then you can always shoot lighter weight bullets or load the heavy ones down to a lower velocity.
    6.5x55 isn't thought of as a hard kicking round anyway so you could do a lot worse than to stay with it.
    Whatever you do, make sure shoot what feels best for you!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    Simon - It sounds like some one is trying to get between you & your cash! (Blaser = loads o'money!!!!!) Especially if you start getting it modified!
    If you like the Finnlight and it is a good shooter, why change it? You can get a recoil reducer fitted to it just as easily as to a new Blaser. There are various options ranging from a piece of copper pipe filled with lead let into the stock to fancy mercury filled jobbies costing lots!
    Fit a heavy moderator to the front - that will also reduce felt recoil.
    Then you can always shoot lighter weight bullets or load the heavy ones down to a lower velocity.
    6.5x55 isn't thought of as a hard kicking round anyway so you could do a lot worse than to stay with it.
    Whatever you do, make sure shoot what feels best for you!

Ian
    Ian, I take your point about the 6.5, but I have a slot for a .308 and am wondering what to buy , the Blaser is easy to swap barrels on and i could have a 6.5 as well as the .308. I do not know what to do for the best.

Simon

Simon
    The 308 will kick harder than the 6.5 so not the way to go imo! I personally don't like swap barrel rifles - no matter how well they may be made!
    Simple old fashioned turnbolts for me! So buy a 308 if you want, but have two rifles rather than the one. Then if anything goes wrong with either one (eg a scope failure like happened to me a week ago!), you can still shoot the other!

Ian