Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early season Does.

Early season Does.

My question is mainly aimed at Roe but I suppose could equally apply to any of the female deer shortly to be in season.

What is the appropriate way to deal with early season does and attendant young?? Do you shoot the doe and hope the young make it through the winter, or shoot the doe and youngsters, or wait until after the new year when the young have a better chance of survival etc ect????

I would be stalking for sport and freezer filling with no specific cull target to achieve.

Certainly in Scotland there is a general consensus that any Roe kids left to fend for themselves up until Christmas will not fare too well and survival rates are poorer.
    I tend to shoot kids first in the run up to Christmas but it depends also on what sort of condition they are in.
    Sometimes the kids will hang about long enough to present a safe shot if you shoot the doe first but if they are part of a larger group as is often the case in winter, the other group members can lead off the kids while reacting to the shot.
    If you do shoot the doe first and the kids clear off they can quite often be caught up with again in the same area, either later that day or the next morning but this is not a rule to be relied upon.
    As ever use your own discretion in these circumstances and you are better to take only 1 kid than leave 2 to face a tough time.
    Remember does are territorial and there should be more chances during the season to add her and the remaining kid to your cull.
    Hope this was helpful and roll on October 21st!
    All the best
    Ben

If in open ground I will shoot the Doe first. I find the kid won't go far, usually keeping sight of the Doe "at rest". It doesn't know what has happened and is still programmed to remain close to mother. I then shoot the kid.

If, however, there is cover nearby then the risk of the kid hiding there is greater. I would then shoot only the kid, expecting the Doe to leg it. The Doe will be there for another day, either for myself or another stalker.

Stan

At this time of year how much smaller are this years kids compared to the adult?

Do you eat the kid or are they too small to get much from?
    I suppose we can't be sqeamish about this.

I haven't seen any yet to compare.

S.

Kids

Scoff the little blighters.

best tasting venison you ever had. They are smaller but you can still get a couple of decent fillets and a wee haqunch of each side for sunday dinner.

YUM YUM,

If in doubt, take the kid.

If you do decide to shoot the doe first and the kid does bolt then sit and wait; do not go to the dropped doe. The kid will likely return very shortly.

I'll continue to shoot the kids first until later, when i'm more sure it can survive alone (if it got away).

This is an inexperienced view so please don`t shoot me down for asking, but unless your permission is overloaded, why take the young as well? isn`t this next years sport?
    Also, if you weren`t sure that the young could fend for itself, isn`t the doe better off left till the next month?
    I would understand if it were for pest control reasons and not a normal days stalking.
    Thanks, basil.

i always shoot the kid/fawn first then take the doe
    if you shoot the kid and the doe runs off then she will still be able to fend for herself
    if you shoot the doe first and the kid/fawn runs off , it may not return or return in the dark long after you may hav left, thus leaving it to fend for itself, likely hood of it surviving is slim, if mum is shot early season
    some will say job done , others cruelty the choice is yours

I agree with Basil
    unless you need to cull and the kid is healthy let it go , if in poor form then its your own decision , currently I have a roe doe with hanging front leg and kid in tow haven't had a shot yet just observed , do we cull on sight or hope she recovers . She seems to be able and the kid isn't skinny and looks normal, but the choice I make will be mine. I value next years harvest as the yanks say! .
    Regards Trapper

I agree with Basil
    unless you need to cull and the kid is healthy let it go , if in poor form then its your own decision , currently I have a roe doe with hanging front leg and kid in tow haven't had a shot yet just observed , do we cull on sight or hope she recovers . She seems to be able and the kid isn't skinny and looks normal, but the choice I make will be mine. I value next years harvest as the yanks say! .
    Regards Trapper