Deer Blood and Cleaves for Training

bartzkingx

Evening All,

Some of you may have read previously that I have a Bavarian Mountain Hound bitch arriving in August. I have began stockpiling everything I think I will need and people on here have been very generous when it came to offering skins, so thank you!

I have a bit of blood and cleaves for training, but firstly I don't have a massive amount, and secondly all of it is roe.

The reason for my post is that I am wondering if anyone could offer any blood or cleaves from their stalks from any species? The blood and cleaves would have to be from the same animal and frozen preferably so it doesn't go off.

Any unwanted heads (clearly not trohpy!!!) that anyone doesn't want I would happily take those also!

I am based in Portsmouth but I am willing to travel maybe 45-60mins away to collect, and I am willing to pay for them.

Waidmansheil,

Tom

You don't need blood and hooves from the same deer.
I trained my dog on cow blood and boar hooves. He will track every animal from Roe ,boar and moose.
When you train its about getting your dog to track a trail in a calm stress free way. The blood is only for giveing the dog a scent to follow.
When you train a Lab or Spaniel to retrieve you throw a dummy to train . That dummy smells of every thing apart from game birds. Then its just a matter of the cross over to game. Training a dog for deer is just the same.
Put to the back of your mind deer when training and keep the dog away from deer and deer stalking till you have trained it up to a good level to follow a trail.

I was under the impression that the blood and cleaves were to be from the same animal? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've just read a couple of books on the subject and they suggested that both had to be the same, notably Niels Sondergaard's book, 'Working with dogs for deer'.

I was under the impression that the blood and cleaves were to be from the same animal? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've just read a couple of books on the subject and they suggested that both had to be the same, notably Niels Sondergaard's book, 'Working with dogs for deer'.

Yes, I agree with you and disagree with Jagare (sorry Alan). Now that you have a formula 1 hound you should try to copy reality as closely as possible. All the people that trained me as well as the continental experts I met insist on everything from the same animal and in my view you might as well start properly on day 1.

Let me know how you get on with your quest. If need be I have a nephew near Chicester would should be able to help.

Hope your deepfreeze is big enough.

One final tip. Do not store your blood in Coke bottles. Others in the household might not like it!

Good luck

Another suggestion.

Try to follow a course from either the NGO or join the Bavarian Society. They not only have training courses but much more importantly they have pretty knowledgeable members who already have done what you are starting to do.

Thanks for the advice Baron, I'm meeting with a chap for the day in August who is running a days training for me.

When I get out to Germany at the end of August I will be in contact with several hunting groups who will point me in the direction of the BMH societies out there. The chap I'm seeing in August has also mentioned contacts he has.

I'm hoping to give my BMH the best start possible!

In reality that would be the best solution , but practicality does not make it happen
and lets face it dogs are not that stupid

blood is blood and all tracking is scent association
Roe deer hooves are the best as they hav a scent gland which gives the strongest scent
but it will not make much difference if you used fallow blood and a red deer hoof
as the dog will follow the stronger scent which will be the blood as a rule
in time the dog will work out what is what
all you are doing is assisting in getting the dog to follow a specific trail which in reality is a lost deer
to the dog it is just a scent, it is how you reward the dog will make the difference on how hard it follows that scent

Back