Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7x64 velocity

7x64 velocity

Anyone here who homeloads for this calibre had the opportunity to chrono their loads?

Justcurious as to what speeds people are pushing these at with a 140grn head?

Thanks
    Last edited by rarms; 17-07-2011 at 05:46.

The problem is what someone else is getting through THEIR barrel can often bear no relation to what you will get through YOURS. Each barrel is a law into itself more often than not. I have a .308 Brno ZKK 601 which gives less velocity than any manual says even those which used rifles instead of pressure barrels. I didn't know this until I got the chance to fire it over a chronograph and none of the deer shot with it complained that the bullet was a couple hundred FPS slower than they should, in theory anyway, have been travelling at.

Also different profile bullets of the same weigh can produce different velocites and pressures. Internal ballistics varies an awful lot with even sometimes minute changes in the load. Be it seating depth, bullet profile and hence bearing surface. The ONLY way to find out I am afraid to say is to try your loads through your rifle over a chronograph.

I'll second what Brit says and add that if you go to Hodgdon.com and look for the load data you will know what the range of velocity capability is. If you can't find the 7x64 then look at 280 remington. About same-same for this talk.~Muir

I have chronographed my loads.

I am simply curious as to what velicities other people with this calibre are loading their bullets to!

Ah! Are yours close to the specs?? ~Muir

My most accurate load is doing just over 2500fps. I think it can be pushed a lot faster than this and was curious as to others. The loading data lists some loads at 2850fps.

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    My most accurate load is doing just over 2500fps. I think it can be pushed a lot faster than this and was curious as to others. The loading data lists some loads at 2850fps.
    Hmmm if that is with a 140 grain bullet then there appears to be something wrong as with Vectan TU5000 and the Hornady 139 Grai n BTSP in my 7x57 I am getting over 2800 fps from a 22" barrel. I chronographed back in 2003 when developing the load for a hunting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by rarms View Post
    It certainly could go faster if it needed to. How has it done in the field so far??~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    It certainly could go faster if it needed to. How has it done in the field so far??~Muir
    At 200 yards it groups to an inch. At 300 it is accurate to a few inches. At 400 it seems to go downhill accuracy wise.

I was assuming if I bump the speed up a bit with a touch more powder then assuming the 100-200 is still as accurate that it should also improve the accuracy at longer range?

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hmmm if that is with a 140 grain bullet then there appears to be something wrong
    Nothing wrong with the load, it is very accurate within Deer stalking ranges. I am just looking at ways to increase its accuracy at longer range!

Perhaps a stupid question, but at 400 yards the Wind Gods can raise hell with an otherwise good load. Have they been bothering you?? Or is it a stability thing? In that event, a little more speed may help.~Muir