Thread: Zeroing and scaring deer

Zeroing and scaring deer

Hi All

If you fire off some unmoderated rounds to zero your scope I assume you will unsettle the deer in the area.

So how long should you wait let any nearby deer settle down before you begin to stalk?

Do Roe have long memories?

S.

My mate was zeroing his rifle, he walked down to check his target and a roe deer stepped out behind him.

I have shot a roe buck 400yrds away from were my brother was zeroing his rifle.

I donít think the disturbance is as much as people think, I would of thought 1 hour would be enough to let things settle.

Not sure what other peopleís experiences are.

Best rgds

Tahr

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I've had deer carry on grazing quite undisturbed whilst I've been zeroing. I've also now (on 3 separate occasions) shot one deer, been in the process of gralloching, and had another deer appear. On two occasions I took the opportunity to shoot the second deer as well......

I agree with Tahr, in that I don't think deer necessarily associate the rifle shot itself with danger - that's why I always keep still/hidden when shooting one deer in a group, as I'd rather they don't link the shot with human activity. Earlier this season I shot a roe buck that was in a family group. The doe and two yearlings hung around for 15 minutes before wandering off. They didn't seem perturbed either by the shot or by the fact that the buck fell over! This only holds true, in my experience, if the shot deer drops to the shot. If the shot deer runs, then expect the other deer to scatter.

willie_gunn

Where I zero there's regularly a group of beasts along the hill behind, about 400m away...they dont even lift their heads up! It's people they don't like, the shot, I reckon, is too far beyond their comprehension. Similar with cars, they just don't get it.

I would imagine roe have very little memory.

Especially when head shot..........

l had 5 roe walk out onto the range at perbright when l was on the 500m point, "detail, make safe and rest your rifles!!!!"
    bugger.

ROE

I SHOT A FOX AND WALKED DOWN TO IT, BY THE TIME I GOT THERE 3 ROE HAD TURNED UP 40YARDS AWAY FROM THE DEAD FOX??

I shot a roe buck this season and before it was taken we were watching a fallow doe and her pricket which was no more than 30 yards or so from the roe. the fallow moved off and the shot was taken. Then the fallow came running in right up to the downed buck.
    See the pictures under the article section------Herefordshire Roe Buck
    Jonathon