BASC Young Shots Day

merlin

My 13yr-old son went on his first BASC 'Young Shots' day yesterday at Eaton Hall, near Chester.

I bundled him out of the car at 9.30am, complete with (a) packed lunch, and (b) plenty of waterproofs :rolleyes:, and picked him up at about 4.30pm.

- I was surprised by how well-attended the event was; must have been around 50 kids there.
- They covered deer-management, as well as air-rifles, clay-shooting and gundogs.
- The day was only 15 quid per attendee
-....the best thing? My son was beaming when I picked him up - as was every other child (girls and boys) that had done the day.

So what's my point? Well, I know that BASC don't get everything right, and often come in for some stick, but yesterday - judging by the expressions on the faces of the kids that were there - I reckon they got it VERY right in terms of positively encouraging 50-odd youngsters into the sport. (I can't have been the only parent driving home with a child talking ten-to-the dozen about what they'd been up to that day....:rolleyes::D.) And that can only be for the long-term good for the future, surely?

Anyway, back to the mundane today - I'm making him tidy up his sty of a room before he's allowed out with his mates later!!:lol::lol:

hi merlin glad your boy enjoyed his day
good point also about the basc or anybody else willing to put on similar events .
what i would say is get him out with you enjoy the father son shooting relationship
I have with my son stalking . foxing . gameshooting . and clayshooting .
time that money cant buy .
regards pete .

hi merlin glad your boy enjoyed his day
good point also about the basc or anybody else willing to put on similar events .
what i would say is get him out with you enjoy the father son shooting relationship
I have with my son stalking . foxing . gameshooting . and clayshooting .
time that money cant buy .
regards pete .

No fear on that score mate! It's very much the exception, rather than the rule, that I get to go out without him!!:D

We see so many people having a 'pop' at BASC on here whether it be value for money, lack of support for our cause etc..
and yet here we see them running some fantastic courses to encourage youngsters into country sports!
I ask you, what better way is there to secure the future than to ensure that the next generation is part of it?
Well done BASC!:thumb:
MS:)

Thanks very much indeed for the feedback.

We run as many of these Young Shots days as we can every year, and they are always over subscribed, so we are looking at putting in place more resource to help – not employing more staff by the way!

We have also developed a format for delivering more specific discipline based Young Shots days for the older or slightly more experienced children. These will roll out very soon.

You will soon start to hear about our new projects and campaigns aimed at young people and helping them get into shooting and improve their skills.

My best wishes to you all.

David

i was an instuctor on a BASC young shot day on sat ( one run by midlands area ) it gives me a real buzz , seeing the yougsters all fired up and going home wanting to do more , we all need to encurage the next generation , in schools thay are tought what bad peopal we are for killing things , every body needs to put our side of what we do over .

all the best
mike

Merlin, glad to hear you're son enjoyed his day; if I was you, I'd build on his enthusiasm by getting him a pup to train up.......:D

Merlin, glad to hear you're son enjoyed his day; if I was you, I'd build on his enthusiasm by getting him a pup to train up.......:D

....if I didn't know you better I'd think you were trying to get me to take one of your cocker pups.......:-|:lol:

Back