Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outsiders looking in.

Outsiders looking in.

Hope no one thinks I'm being pedantic here, or even trying to teach anyone's Granny how to suck eggs,, just thinking on how many outsiders may get the wrong idea on how shooters acquire their live quarry target/s, especially at night, some write ups appear to advocate target acquisition by the incorrect/unsafe use of rifle mounted optics, correct target identification should be made by the use of suitable binoculars or handheld telescope, or even mark one eyeball, does not matter if your firearm is unloaded/empty/no bolt............ rifle mounted optics are for the shot.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Golly, the ghillie at Glenbogle, wouldn't agree.
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Not only bad practice, can also turn into sad practice.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

You referring just to deer here or shooting in general? Daytime shooting then binoculars are very useful but at night the amount of stuff to carry around can be ridiculous. Scanning with a handheld lamp, setting up the sticks and checking ID 100% before removing safety catch andtaking shot has to be acceptable.

I will admit to having watched badgers, deer and other wildlife through the scope, but then I unload the gun properly. There is nothing magical about optics attached to the barrel. If it's proved empty it's safe. Even watching things through the scope I would have a safe backstop.

You'll be telling me off for dry mounting a shotgun in my sittingroom next.

You missed the point mate, new starters, or even those with other objectives reading what sounds wrong, dry mounting is a completely different situation, & can have someone stood right at the end of the barrel, scoping "eyes" is just not the way to do it.

The less the 'droids' see the better, imo

You'll be telling me off for dry mounting a shotgun in my sittingroom next. Apache
    Wife often tells me off for dry mounting, apparently a decent oil is a must if only for the sake of good manners. What bore shotgun out of interest?

finns right , and i think we should all bare in mind there are folk on here who may be just having a look out of intrest and that the site will have antis monitoring it for sure , just be aware of this before posting pictures of foxes with their guts hanging out or simmilar

Quote Originally Posted by Timbob View Post
    . What bore shotgun out of interest?
    12G?

Are you one of these antis looking in?

certainly not, I would have thought my post would be taken purely in jest?