Thread: Legal Age

Legal Age

Hi All,
    I have just been told that someone under the age of 17 cannot use a firearm while stalking/fox shooting unless they have a FAC for that particular rifle.
    This means that Father cannot let this son/daughter unless son /daughter has an FAC and someone under 17 cannot use an Estate rifle for stalking.
    Any thoughts ?

That's how I have always understood the law where kids and rifles are concerned, with the only exceptions being accredited gun clubs and Army Cadets. I've always thought there should be 'father & son/daughter' clause, as it feels like overkill for my 14 year old son to have to have his own FAC and rifle to stalk deer when he could just have controlled and supervised access to one of mine when out stalking. Particularly as I still have to buy the rifle, ammo etc and transport him to and from the shoot with the gun.

A.
    Last edited by Adamant; 18-07-2011 at 16:04.

From BASC Guidance Sheet, 'Young People & Firearms':

UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
    No-one under the age of 14 may use a Section 1 Firearm except for target shooting as a
    member of a Home Office approved rifle club; or at a shooting gallery where no rifles
    larger than .23 inch calibre are used (e.g. at Fairs).

14 TO 17 YEARS OF AGE
    At the age of 14 a person may hold a firearm certificate and may then be given firearms
    and ammunition within the conditions on the certificate.
    The law does not set a minimum age at which the holder of a firearm certificate may
    shoot without adult supervision. That is left to the discretion of the parent or guardian.

NEW - 18 AND OVER
    On reaching the age of 18, the holder of a firearm certificate may hire or purchase
    firearms and ammunition in accordance with the conditions on that certificate.

THE FIREARMS (AMENDMENT) ACT 1988
    The above act made it lawful for someone of, or over, the age of 17 to borrow a rifle from the occupier of private land and use it, on that land, in the presence of the occupier but only under the conditions on that certificate. Under these circumstances the rifle can also be borrowed from a “servant of the occupier”, for example a gamekeeper. “In the presence of” is taken to mean “within sight and earshot”.

NEW – “The Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010” now requires the lending occupier
    or servant must be 18 or over when lending to 17 year olds.
    For borrowers who are 18 years or older, the lender may be of any age providing they are an occupier or servant of an occupier and hold a firearm certificate for the rifle being lent under the provisions of the estate rifle provision.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    From BASC Guidance Sheet, 'Young People & Firearms':

UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
    No-one under the age of 14 may use a Section 1 Firearm except for target shooting as a
    member of a Home Office approved rifle club; or at a shooting gallery where no rifles
    larger than .23 inch calibre are used (e.g. at Fairs).

14 TO 17 YEARS OF AGE
    At the age of 14 a person may hold a firearm certificate and may then be given firearms
    and ammunition within the conditions on the certificate.
    The law does not set a minimum age at which the holder of a firearm certificate may
    shoot without adult supervision. That is left to the discretion of the parent or guardian.

NEW - 18 AND OVER
    On reaching the age of 18, the holder of a firearm certificate may hire or purchase
    firearms and ammunition in accordance with the conditions on that certificate.

THE FIREARMS (AMENDMENT) ACT 1988
    The above act made it lawful for someone of, or over, the age of 17 to borrow a rifle from the occupier of private land and use it, on that land, in the presence of the occupier but only under the conditions on that certificate. Under these circumstances the rifle can also be borrowed from a “servant of the occupier”, for example a gamekeeper. “In the presence of” is taken to mean “within sight and earshot”.

NEW – “The Firearms (Amendment) Regulations 2010” now requires the lending occupier
    or servant must be 18 or over when lending to 17 year olds.
    For borrowers who are 18 years or older, the lender may be of any age providing they are an occupier or servant of an occupier and hold a firearm certificate for the rifle being lent under the provisions of the estate rifle provision.
    So, in effect then, no one under the age of 14 can legally hunt (even supervised) witha sect 1 firearm?
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I had this discussion with my FEO at interview, he told me that I could take my 10 year-old hunting and that he could use my firearms. I disputed this but he was adamant. Needless to say, the boy doesn't get to use it !!

bacon, your FEO is plain wrong. I'd ask him to give you his opinion on it in writing, and then show him the relevant parts of the regulations. These people who control our access to firearms should at least attempt to get their facts straight before spouting what could get someone into serious trouble!

anyone whose father had a .22 has probably breached those rules!
    I had an FAC aged 14, no big deal. OK it was a few quid, but trust me, when you have been shooting 270 for 24 years from the age of 14, no-one is going to give you a mentor condition!!

the longer you have one the easier it gets

Established Poster
    so is it legal for a 14 yr old who hasnt got an FAC licence to shoot a rifle under adult supervision

Quote Originally Posted by mal mason View Post
    so is it legal for a 14 yr old who hasnt got an FAC licence to shoot a rifle under adult supervision
    Yes -providing it is as a member of a cadet corps (Sea Air, army etc) or as a member of a HO shooting club - or on a .22 gallery.

but no if you a talking about going stalking with daughter/son/daughter's friend etc

Julie

SD Regular
    Good evening Julie
    Nice to hear a ladies views and maybe keep some of these animals in check
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC