Rimfire Ammo

Thoburns

Used a rimfire for 30 years then sold 2 years ago, now bought another for the Rabbits, 16" barrel, will the 40g Winchester sub sonics do okay through a short barrel?

Used a rimfire for 30 years then sold 2 years ago, now bought another for the Rabbits, 16" barrel, will the 40g Winchester sub sonics do okay through a short barrel?
they work great, also eley subs. Mine hates cci ammo, its really tight to close the bolt ;)

i shoot both eley and winchester 40grain subsonics through my 12.5 " barrel and they both group 1/2 inch at 50 yards no ptobs

can i ask what rifle. mine is a cz and hates cci and rws to much waxy coating i think

There'se nowt wrong with RWS HP subsonics - I've found them as good as any low velocity rounds fired in many rifles over 20 years. The waxy coating does no harm imho. You get a waxy fouling that stays oily instead of a dry hard one. So the rifle is a bit easier to clean.
CCI - were not as good by a long way when I tried them many moons ago. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!
Winchester subsonic hollow points used to occasionally go supersonic in some rifles so I stay away from them.

Ian

Thanks for the info gents, always used Winchester through the old BRNO 20" so will give them a go, also what about the modern light moderators, had a parker hale, a bit long and heavy but worked great, anything on the market thats lighter and shorter than the old PH?

Sorry cannot help on moderators as I have no idea who made the alloy one fitted to my BSA Super Sport Five.

However as to the ammunition, well it's claimed that rim-fire rifle ammunition burns cleanly in 16" barrel length so anything over it not actually needed. My BSA's barrel is cut to 16 1/2".

winchester 40grain subsonics through my ruger 10/22 for the last 10 years get a few poppers now and again but very good all round.

My CZ is one of the older ones with the barrel cut down from 20" to 16". It shoots most subs acceptably, but does really well with Eleys.

Best thing is to buy or borrow a box of each of the main brands that your dealer stocks and try them to see what works best. I did that and then swapped the ones that were less accurate for Eleys.

My CZ came with a PH mod. I swapped it for a SAK. They cost £30 and are light and effective. There are lighter ones available, but I couldn't justify the cost when the SAK does the job pretty well.

Cheers,

Bob

they work great, also eley subs. Mine hates cci ammo, its really tight to close the bolt ;)

CCI is longer to the ogive than most .22lr fare so is often engaging the lands when the bolts closed - particulalry notable in my finfire.

Just to put my uasege in i haveCZ 452 varmint 16" barrel i use 50g winchester sub's 10mil groups for me:D

Have used Whinchester sub's for years in both Ruger 10/22 & Brno B/A without any prob's apart from the occasional jam in the Ruger!!! :D

Though I rekon I'm just a wee bit younger than you THOBURNS!!! :rofl:

Atb, Buck.

i have an old model 1 cz brno 1950s . its cut down to 12 " and had trigger pull taken down to 2lb with a jls stalker mod that cost £30 just as quite as a sak and a lot thinner and lighter , shot thousands of bunnies with it and its excellent for shooting out of truck also have not lost no accuracy at further ranges with barrel been cut down

Last edited:
Just as an aside. With a .22 no particular bullet tends to necessarily work with a particular make of rifle. Each individual rifle will find a bullet it likes and make cloverleafs or Shamrocks for those with a liking for the black stuff and will fire some others so far apart that you could be shooting them over your shoulder.

A lot of the time, after checking things like the moderator are on tight (Been there and wrote a chapter on the book) Then it is a case of trying different makes until you find one that works. I have just got a small willy modified 10/22 and of course it loves CCIs. The fact that I have a load of Winchesters and Eley Subs which my Annie 520 loved is neither here nor there................... Damn and blast. :D

Just as an aside. With a .22 no particular bullet tends to necessarily work with a particular make of rifle. Each individual rifle will find a bullet it likes and make cloverleafs or Shamrocks for those with a liking for the black stuff and will fire some others so far apart that you could be shooting them over your shoulder.

A lot of the time, after checking things like the moderator are on tight (Been there and wrote a chapter on the book) Then it is a case of trying different makes until you find one that works. I have just got a small willy modified 10/22 and of course it loves CCIs. The fact that I have a load of Winchesters and Eley Subs which my Annie 520 loved is neither here nor there................... Damn and blast. :D

Now theres not a lot of blokes would admit to that SS, good on you.

I would get a selection of bullets and see what your rifle like to eat Remington 38g shoot rather well through my CZ.

Back