Thread: fired or sweated carcass

fired or sweated carcass

Just been reading the Carcass Inspection Guide from the Deer Initiative web site and come across the term "fired or sweated carcass" with the advice to dispose of the carcass and not to allow it in to the food chain.

What is the meaning of the terms fired or sweated in this instance?

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/p...tion010509.pdf

Regards
    Mel

It would discribe a fevered carcase,dark red in colour and noticable lack of rigamortis......

easily recognised, a sweated carcase a film of moisture over the flesh fired as previous poster said, reasons carcase not being allowed to cool quick enough IE not being gralloched soon enough, back passage not opened up properly this can be a cause of firing as this is where most heat is retained, or flesh being contaminated be stomach contents will cause sweating another cause which can't really be avoided is sometimes the carcase of a wounded animal that has had to be followed up will fire even though it has been handled properly this is believed to be caused be a rush of Adrenalin after the initial shot.

Any such carcase will be automatically condemned by a game dealer.

Common cause of "firing" is not separating shot game properly, even your lowly rabbits can succumb to it by jumbling them all into the bag or truckbed.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Thanks for the info.

Noticed you were both from Scotland so took a look at online Best Practice Guide and it is explaned in the Carcass Inspection 2 pdf. In the Deer Initiative version it is mentioned in the Carcass Inspection pdf only as a reason to stop processing and dispose of the carcass but not what it is.

I might as well tell you a story. Probably 60 years ago, two venerable (old) stalkers shot a stag a long way from home. It didn't drop but obviously wasn't well. Anyway they decided to walk it back to a more convenient spot, which they did and then shot it again.
    On inspection the carcass was a "funny colour". How they did it I do not know but they got a hold of the local vet and he told them the carcass was "fired" - as described in the various posts - and, amazingly, it did not enter the food chain. Probably almost unheard of in those days when everything would go.
    Thus, adrenaline would seem to be a contributing factor as above:
    "another cause which can't really be avoided is sometimes the carcase of a wounded animal that has had to be followed up will fire even though it has been handled properly this is believed to be caused be a rush of Adrenalin after the initial shot".
    Don't harrass me with the animal welfare implications of this tale. Both men are long dead and sleeping the sleep of the just. They both also went through several rifles (always 7mm) with the numbers they dealt with in those days.
    Times have changed in every way.