Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haggarts of Aberfeldy.

Haggarts of Aberfeldy.

Went in today in the passing and i was shocked at the display on show. Half the shop is shut now and you should see the unsellable stuff they have on show. I have lost 3 stone and my four tweed patterns are now discontinued and they don't fancy helping with altering my plus 4's as it may be "too much work". Once supplier to most shooting estates and royalty but now much in demise.

SD Regular
    That is a shame. I had a shooting suit from Haggart's some twenty plus years ago and also, even then, got the impression that things were going downhill.

That they can't alter your "breeks" is quite poor. I guess that like me you have need of an adjustment in the waist area? Although with me I've put on three stone!

If it's "too much work" it basically speaks volumes of an attitude of not wanting to assist a customer in need of help.

Thank you for posting this as it saves others from going there to also be rebuffed.

Try scottishtweeds.co.uk a cracking company in Lairg. They too supply many of the estates. I have bought from them several times and always a first class service.
    They may have the tweed your after also.

The 4 tweed patterns i use were designed by Haggarts for my local estate and were unique to them. I know that they lately had a company down south make the coats and jackets from Haggarts tweed. I have looked at many other tailors but i personally reckon they are not as hard wearing as the Aberfeldy firm. All the royals shoot with Haggarts clothes and i think that is a tradition that is going to come to an end soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    The 4 tweed patterns i use were designed by Haggarts for my local estate and were unique to them. I know that they lately had a company down south make the coats and jackets from Haggarts tweed. I have looked at many other tailors but i personally reckon they are not as hard wearing as the Aberfeldy firm. All the royals shoot with Haggarts clothes and i think that is a tradition that is going to come to an end soon.

Yes Haggart's seem to have gone down hill,like you say, Jackets were being made down south, hats and caps somewhere else last suit I had made by them hat ready about six weeks after rest of suit, some of the estates getting suits made in Auchterarder don't know how good they will be.
    I had shooting suit made by the Tailor in Friar street, don't go there terrible fit.

Like you I have an estate tweed but luckily its not a Haggarts design, tweed is made in the borders so can take it anywhere to be made up.

No one in the UK makes shooting suits as Haggarts once did but i for one will miss thier mad way of trading... typewriters are thier most modern machines.

I had my shooting-suit made of Islay tweed by alexander-james.co.uk who are rather surprising situated in Pendlebury.
    Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    No one in the UK makes shooting suits as Haggarts once did but i for one will miss thier mad way of trading... typewriters are thier most modern machines.
    The tailors in Lairg have some Haggarts tweed, their tailoring is far superior than the rubbish that has been coming from Aberfeldy for the last couple of years. It's a real shame as I have always been loyal to Haggarts but I'm afraid they've gone down hill, too much.

Try Pam Blackhall in Tarland, she does nearly all the Deeside and Donside Estates, I've had a few suits in the past and they were always good.

15 Melgum Road
    Tarland AB34 4ZL
    013398 81359
    Fax: 013398 81359

I agree that Haggarts outsource thier coats and jackets and they are inferior..... and thanks for the contact BS.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    The tailors in Lairg have some Haggarts tweed, their tailoring is far superior than the rubbish that has been coming from Aberfeldy for the last couple of years. It's a real shame as I have always been loyal to Haggarts but I'm afraid they've gone down hill, too much.

Try Pam Blackhall in Tarland, she does nearly all the Deeside and Donside Estates, I've had a few suits in the past and they were always good.

15 Melgum Road
    Tarland AB34 4ZL
    013398 81359
    Fax: 013398 81359
    Now there's a blast from the past, my father was a keeper on Dinnet estate, and I remember cycling to Tarland to pick up his suit when it was ready, that will be all of fifty years ago.