Thread: Charlie playing hard to get.

Charlie playing hard to get.

One of my farmers called me the other day telling me that there is a fox hanging around his pheasant pens. The farm is arable with dense woodlands containing the pens. After several days and nights trying to connect with the red furred, pointy eared marauder I was drawing a blank. Ok so a new tack was called for and seeing obvious runs on the edges of the woods out came the dry dog food and tuna oil. First lot disappeared on the first night as did the subsequent lots on the following days. Now charlie has been pinned to a particular spot all that remained was to find out what time he is mooching around that spot. Time for a piece of technology that I bought a while ago just for this situation. The trail cam did it's job and I do believe that I shall be sat out from 3.45 tomorrow morning

Nice pic mate!!
    Good luck with getting charlie!

ATB
    Daz

Great pic...

I was told by a chap that to getb the times of a foxes routine, for a couple of nights, set out a lump of dog food, then, a few nights later, set out a chicken leg/carcass, tie one end of a bit of fishing line to it, the other end to the battery of a cheap clock, then when the fox takes the bait, the battery comes out of the clock, it stops, and hey presto, you know the time it "should" be at a predetermined spot... Still got to try it myself, but no reason it shouldnt work..

Quote Originally Posted by Norrie1956 View Post
    Great pic...

I was told by a chap that to getb the times of a foxes routine, for a couple of nights, set out a lump of dog food, then, a few nights later, set out a chicken leg/carcass, tie one end of a bit of fishing line to it, the other end to the battery of a cheap clock, then when the fox takes the bait, the battery comes out of the clock, it stops, and hey presto, you know the time it "should" be at a predetermined spot... Still got to try it myself, but no reason it shouldnt work..
    Have used this method to great success many times...My mate bought the trail cam so we tend to sue that now.

Each to their own, but I have never used the baiting method, unless you count whatever they are targeting anyway,It's satisfying to just work with the natural train of events, don't really call for them either, excepting a squeeker or cough/whistle to stop a mobile target,also I seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time, just wish I could transfer this knack to the financial front!, also, an observation, Flyboy270 (Mike) seems to have the same sixth sense when it comes to Deer.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 26-07-2011 at 16:53.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Each to their own, but I have never used the baiting method, unless you count whatever they are targeting anyway,It's satisfying to just work with the natural train of events, don't really call for them either, excepting a squeeker or cough/whistle to stop a mobile target,also I seem to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time, just wish I could transfer this knack to the financial front!, also, an observation, Flyboy270 (Mike) seems to have the same sixth sense when it comes to Deer.

Agree, sometimes I just drop on them with minimal effort and they sit there nicely...On other farms we have had to work really hard to get to them including baiting, and waiting out to 6 or 7 am in the morning from a 10pm start!! The clock has helped to minimise the amount of effort/waiting required.