Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22LR muzzle velocity

.22LR muzzle velocity

I am trying to use Hawke Optics software to callibrate the aim points on my reticle. The software gives a standard preset of 1051 ft/s for .22LR subs. However, some data I have been reading recently gives a muzzle velocity of 1335 ft/s for Winchester Hollow Point .22LR sub rounds (which is the round I'm using), although it was published quite a long time ago.
    Can anyone tell me which of these is correct?
    (Or, if neither is correct, what is?)

Thanks.

1335 is definitely not subsonic. I've always thought most subs are 1050ish.

James

The speed of sound is about 1100 feet per second so your Winchester Hollow Points bullets at 1335 fps are NOT sub sonic.
    Subs are generally around 1050 fps.

HWH.

I chrono'd some 40grain winchester super x subs a few weeks ago and they averaged 1032fps through my rifle so I reckon your software figure of 1051fps is close enough. The other figure is close to high velocity .22lr, I chrono'd some winchester lazer high velocities and they averaged 1370fps.

Hope this helps.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

If I remember rightly Win 'rabbit stoppers', which say they are subsonic!, run out at about 1350fps which is definitely supersonic. Win subs run at 1050fps and stingers at about 1660fps or there abouts.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Are you using one of the Hawke reticles VSS ? I have used the BRC download in conjuction with Hawke rets for years, always using Winchester subs. This give accurate and very useable results. Sub sonic round are under 1100 fps. Where did you get the info on Win subs being 1335, must be a missprint!

Personally I wouldnt trust any published data! (or a Hawke scope for that matter! had some shockers in my time)
    You will get the odd supersonic round out of a box of win subs depending on the weather!

do a google search, there are a few interesting articles on various claimed and actual speeds.

Officially 40gn standard velocity .22LR produces 1,135 fps from a 24" 1-16" twist test barrel at a max average chamber pressure of 24,000 psi (US SAAMI ammunition spec). Many manufacturers load match ammo softer to around the 1,070-1,090 mark to ensure all rounds are subsonic (1,122 fps under standard atmospheric conditions, 29.92" Hg pressure and 59 deg F the main elements). Pistol Match .22LR runs at 950-1,050 fps usually and 38gn HP subsonic is loaded like match ammo to be within the 1,050-1,100 fps range.

36/37gn HVHP .22LR high-velocity is officially loaded to 1,260 fps; 40gn solids: 1,235 fps.

33gn HP Hyper Vel using the slightly longer case is officially 1,465 fps, and 36gn versions 1,385 fps, although some manufacturers have ramped speeds up to well above the SAAMI levels. In all cases, maximum allowed pressure remains 24,000 psi.

With so many people making .22LR in so many countries, there is a lot of variation, but those are the specs from the controlling standards body for this cartridge.

Thanks chaps.
    Sounds like the Hawke software is about right then. My scope has a MAP 6 reticle, which is "preset" for air rifle use, but can easily be calibrated for .22 sub (and other calibres). Unfortunately my budget didn't stretch to the MAP 8. Anyway, I don't suppose it makes much difference under field conditions, firstly because I'll not be able to precisely ascertain range anyway (can make a good estimate to within 5 yards at 50 - 75 yards, but it is just that - an estimate), and also because I'm usually on fairly steep slopes, which will affect range estimation and trajectory.
    The data I had came from "The book of the .22", which, although rather dated (published about 40 years ago), I have found very interesting, certainly as someone new to rifle shooting. (I don't think it did me any harm, either, to have the book casually lying on my desk when the FLO came to interview me re: FAC application - showed I'd been doing some homework!) The book has a number of tables giving info such as MV, mid range trajectory, etc etc on various popular rounds, many of which are still available. If anything, I would have expected the spec of the rounds to have improved over 40 years.

Anyway, any tips re: calibrating this reticle for Win Sub Hollow Points would be welcome. I thought I had the scope zeroed pretty well, and have done plenty of practice at paper, but in the field I'm finding that I'm hitting rabbits low at 50 - 55 yards, which I can't understand. Someone did say that the bullet would still be rising at 50 yards, which might explain the low hitting, but if the Hawke figures are correct then the trajectory would have peaked at about 45 yards. (However, if the figures in the book were correct, then it would still be rising).
    Also, any tips re: other types of round I should try would be welcome. Anything suitable for rabbiting at 50 - 75 yards range in an area where ricochet is highly likely due to rocky outcrops. (The Win Subs still have plenty of "bounce" left in them after passing through a bunny!)

Incidentally, thanks to everyone who helped with my earlier queries. In the end, a friend lent me a Harris bipod to try, which I found a great help, and was able to get very consistent groups without the wobble! I've since bought a "Harris style" bipod from Opticswarehouse, which appears to be an exact copy of the Harris, at 1/3 of the price!

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Thanks chaps.
    Sounds like the Hawke software is about right then. My scope has a MAP 6 reticle, which is "preset" for air rifle use, but can easily be calibrated for .22 sub (and other calibres). Unfortunately my budget didn't stretch to the MAP 8. Anyway, I don't suppose it makes much difference under field conditions, firstly because I'll not be able to precisely ascertain range anyway (can make a good estimate to within 5 yards at 50 - 75 yards, but it is just that - an estimate), and also because I'm usually on fairly steep slopes, which will affect range estimation and trajectory.
    The data I had came from "The book of the .22", which, although rather dated (published about 40 years ago), I have found very interesting, certainly as someone new to rifle shooting. (I don't think it did me any harm, either, to have the book casually lying on my desk when the FLO came to interview me re: FAC application - showed I'd been doing some homework!) The book has a number of tables giving info such as MV, mid range trajectory, etc etc on various popular rounds, many of which are still available. If anything, I would have expected the spec of the rounds to have improved over 40 years.

Anyway, any tips re: calibrating this reticle for Win Sub Hollow Points would be welcome. I thought I had the scope zeroed pretty well, and have done plenty of practice at paper, but in the field I'm finding that I'm hitting rabbits low at 50 - 55 yards, which I can't understand. Someone did say that the bullet would still be rising at 50 yards, which might explain the low hitting, but if the Hawke figures are correct then the trajectory would have peaked at about 45 yards. (However, if the figures in the book were correct, then it would still be rising).
    Also, any tips re: other types of round I should try would be welcome. Anything suitable for rabbiting at 50 - 75 yards range in an area where ricochet is highly likely due to rocky outcrops. (The Win Subs still have plenty of "bounce" left in them after passing through a bunny!)

Incidentally, thanks to everyone who helped with my earlier queries. In the end, a friend lent me a Harris bipod to try, which I found a great help, and was able to get very consistent groups without the wobble! I've since bought a "Harris style" bipod from Opticswarehouse, which appears to be an exact copy of the Harris, at 1/3 of the price!
    Apologies for dragging this thread back up the list again, but I hadn't had a response, and saw it sliding down the page....

If anyone can give me any advice re: the low hitting, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.