Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best factory action for semi custom

Best factory action for semi custom

Greetings,

If you were to do a semi-custom build in .308, which factory donor action would you pick, and more importantly, why?

sako 75 seams to be very popular. though there not the cheapest action to find second hand as there popular.
    remington is cheap to pick up. has lots of after market parts. but you might want it blue printed as next to the sako it would feel sloppy.

i like the tikka m590 or m595. because there strong,well built. and pretty cheap to find. the trigger is good standard and can be adjusted to a nice pull weight.
    the bolt is smooth and the mags are good on them. a 22/250 mag feeds a 6 br round and is one of the only rifles that will do it with out the fuss of messing with the mag.

mcmillan do a nice after market stock for them also. and the action has a nice area to bed.

Of all modern actions, howa has possibly the best and most robust design.
    Then again howa is slightly heavier than a remmy action...I would risk a remmy action.
    edi

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Custom Win Mod 70 pre 64
    Semi custom Win Mod 70 post 64

Define semi-custom

New, barrel, stock, trigger, rings and bases, bottom metal?

I'm having a custom sako, but really its just a re-barrel in an aftermarket stock with a fettled trigger! Is it a semi?

Remington has most bolt on bells and whistles, sako 75 or tikka works out cheapest as you can't get or don't need to buy trigger, bottom metal etc. They don't even need to be blueprinted (although some will claim they have been!!??).

have a look at gbr actions i just had a 7mm08 built on one i paid 1100 for action bolt, lug and bottom metal and picatinny rail they are very nice i was quoted 800 for a second hand blueprinted remmy action so i went with gbr best move i made

kris

A few friends have standard Rem 700's. Both 7 mm Rem Mag. They shoot awesome good out of the box with factory ammo by RWS and Norma. One is a standard wooden stocked ADL, the cheapest of the cheapest. Imagine a 308 in a decent synthetic stock,with a half days work from a competent gunsmith. Cheap and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    have a look at gbr actions i just had a 7mm08 built on one i paid 1100 for action bolt, lug and bottom metal and picatinny rail they are very nice i was quoted 800 for a second hand blueprinted remmy action so i went with gbr best move i made

kris
    who is building it if you dont mind me asking Kris?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Greetings,

If you were to do a semi-custom build in .308, which factory donor action would you pick, and more importantly, why?
    The trouble is that peoples ideas and tastes are all different. There are those for which a Remington 700 is the ONLY action to use, others say/feel the same about Sako, Tikka etc. Then add in the different intended uses and it boils down to the fact that there is NO best. Even the definition of custom and semi custom you will ahve trouble getting some people to agree upon.

Not everyone would even consider a bolt action as the best for a custom.

Sorry PKL but your question is like asking :-

How long is a piece of string.

My own semi custom build was not in 308 Winchester but 280 AI which hopefully I can finished one day.

Edit:- Of course I used a 1968 Vintage BSA 1st pattern Monarch for mine.

Mauser 98, Model 1909 Argentine Contract??

Saw a TT Procter on said action in 7x57, mucho tasty...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......