Liver Fluke

NickJ

Has anyone else encountered bad cases of fluke in this, very wet summer? I shot a yearling roe buck this week that I thought, at first was a fawn, it weighed <15lbs and was riddled with ticks. The liver looked very flukey - scarred too.
Worth noting this was off a new, wet and sheepy bit of ground in Lancs.
Although I've found the a v.small bit of fluke before when inspecting healthy carcasses (inc Dumfries-shire) I have never encountered a beast in poor condition due to them.

NickJ said:
Has anyone else encountered bad cases of fluke in this, very wet summer? I shot a yearling roe buck this week that I thought, at first was a fawn, it weighed <15lbs and was riddled with ticks. The liver looked very flukey - scarred too.
Worth noting this was off a new, wet and sheepy bit of ground in Lancs.
Although I've found the a v.small bit of fluke before when inspecting healthy carcasses (inc Dumfries-shire) I have never encountered a beast in poor condition due to them.

I did shoot a very poor roe doe two years ago that was in a similar state following the very wet winter we had. It also had enlarged lymph glands,
its tick burden was pretty heavy also.
Whether it general poor condition was the result of one or other of its problems or just a combination of all 3 I could never figure out. I never even bothered to skin it out and using it a dog food it went straight into the site skip.

Thanks. Since writing that it has only rained one day!...so hopefully that's the ned of that!

Back